1998 Toyota Camry Problems

Hello All :)

I am having several concerns / problems with my 1998 toyota camry. Any insight would greatly be appreciated.

1) The suspension is pretty bad. When I go over bumps it is very shaky. The front right rattles very badly when going slow. I have replaced the front struts with Monroe Struts. The sound is just horrible. I am pretty clueless

2) The car has 121,580 miles. I purchased it at 90,000 miles. I have not had the timing belt changed mainly due to lack of funds. How do I know if it was ever changed properly?

3) I have been having regular oil changes, etc done. What other maintenace should I do at this point?

4) the engine seems to be a bit sluggish and when warming up the RPM thing seems to go down as it is warming up and then jumps up a bit and back down.

5) Any idea's to prolong and maintain the car would be great. I want to keep it as long as possible.

Thank you for your help.

Josh Youngblood

Reply to
Josh

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Josh being of bellicose mind posted:

There is a service bulleting about the front strut MOUNTS (top) where the strut rod is secured to the inner fender well. The rattle is a worn out mount bearing.

Properly, there would be an ID sticker included with the new belt and affixed to a visible surface on the engine compartment. Otherwise, pull off a belt cover and turn the engine over until you see a section of the belt with inked indentification. If no such ink is left or is badly worn off, the belt is OLD. Looking at the belt teeth reveals nothing about condition.

Transmission fluid every 15-20k. Brake fluid and power steering fluid every 2 years. Four wheel alignment.

Normal.

Don't make contact with other vehicles or immoveable stationary objects.

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

Philip,

Thanks for your help. What is a service bullentine? Another thing to note is thta the stearing wheel rattles sometimes (kinda like its loose)>

What about new wires? spark plug? I believe that's called a tune up.

I'm a computer guy and car stupid! but I am trying to learn.

Thanks, Josh

Reply to
Josh

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Josh being of bellicose mind posted:

Technical Service Bulletins are repair advisories dealing with the correction or modifications of specific vehicle deficiencies or upgrades.

Drop by your Toyota dealer to inquire about TSB :

SU-001-00 Camry/Avalon front suspension noise

That's a very good place to start.

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

Philip,

On the suspension noise -- this local place is telling me it is the strut mount more than likely?? Do you think thats it or bushings? baring?

Thanks Josh

Reply to
Josh

Pardon me for jumping in, but I have a '99 and it had the same problem. I replaced both upper front strut mounts and the noise went away. It sounded HORRIBLE like the front wheel was going to fall off!

Please see attached .PDF for the TSB. Make sure you have Adobe Acrobat reader installed to view it.

Excuse me for attaching a file to this message but it was on the small side

Reply to
Zebra

The strut mount is the part Toyota updated in the Technical Service Bulletin. When this mount has linear play, the top end of the stut is free to move and rattle/knock with suspension movement.

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Josh being of bellicose mind posted:

Reply to
Philip®

Philip -- Where do you think is the best place to get the parts?

Thanks, Josh

Reply to
Josh

Since this is a TSB issue, I certainly prefer genuine Toyota parts. There are some online Toyota discount parts sources but I can't help you there.

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM