1999 Camry 4cyl -- oil consumption

1999 Camry CE 4cyl 5-speed 45k miles

i purchased a used 99 Camry about 18 months ago. at the time it had only 33k miles and since then i've put 12k miles on it.

using Mobil 1 synthetic oil (5W-30 winter, 10W-30 summer), i change the oil every 5k miles. i currently use Fram X2 Extended Guard oil filters but initially i used Wix filters. now before any of you bash Fram filters, do your research on the X2 filter--it can hold its own against Amsoil, Wix, Mobil 1 (non-existant), and the rest. yes, i used to HATE Fram filters. but their new products look to have taken a huge leap in improved quality.

Questions:

  1. my Camry is going through about one quart of oil every 5k miles, no matter what kind of filter i use. is this normal?

  1. for those of you with 99 4cyl Camrys, how much oil do you use?

  2. i've read the posts here which indicate that in '99 Toyota made a design change in the engine so that it runs hotter. is this true? if so, what should i look out for, as far as any problems may be concerned?

  1. in hot weather, upon acceleration i sometimes hear the lifters in the engine. it is a very light, faint tapping noise. with heavier oil (10W-30) i don't hear it as much. i know a LOT of Japanese engines exhibit this behavior, for i've owned a Mazda, Nissan, and two Toyotas, so it really doesn't bother me--or should it?

there are no leaks under the vehicle and i live in northern Maine, so the climate is certainly not hot. the only "serious" repair the car has had was the flex-pipe coming off of the exhaust manifold--this repair was covered under warranty (no cost).

overall, i love the car. it drives and rides flawlessly, feels very solid and well-built.

any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
pcnut

in hot weather, upon acceleration i sometimes hear the lifters

Read tech data sheet re: carbon reduction over time:

(if it were lifter noise, you'd hear it just as much at idle)

I qt. oil per 5,000 miles isn't cause for concern

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

I am curious how Fram products have taken a "huge leap in improved quality"? I won't disagree the X2 is probably a decent filter, but what other products from Fram have improved?

Close to $10 for an oil filter is quite a bit when you can get an OEM Toyota filter for about $4 a filter. Or a Purolator Premium Plus for about $3 a filter.

Anyway, one quart of oil in 5K is no big deal at all. Wouldn't worry at all...run a 5K interval oil change and you will be good to go.

Reply to
Curtis Newton

From what I've seen in *all* my 'Yotas (10 of 'em so far) this is about right. Always down at least 1/2 qt every change (3-5000 miles)

Four of them have gone *well* over 200K!

Check and add at ~1800 between changes. Happy Motoring!

Reply to
HachiRoku

Syntheic can get by the valve seals a little easier maybe? Do you get a small puff of blue smoke on cold startup? The higher mileage type oils will swell the seals slightly to not burn as much oil.

My 97 with 180,000 miles might use 1/2 quart in 5,000 miles. I use Pennzoil high mileage with Purolator filters since new.

I doubt that. Just change the oil regularly.

Mine all did it too, that is light oil so you will hear it more. A valve adjustment is not that expensive it you want to check it. Mine have never been adjusted.

Reply to
ROBMURR

10-30 for summer maybe a bit light for the motor. Consult a driver's manual for that model for engine viscosities.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

the owner's manual calls for 5W-30 year round. if i use 5W-30 in the summer the engine is a bit noisier and it goes through a bit more oil. i was thinking of using Mobil 1 10W-40 but it's hard to find, so i use

10W-30. the summers in N Maine are not really hot. i used to live in OH and ran 20W-50 in some of my old vehicles.
Reply to
pcnut

Across the line Fram's new filters are much better than their old filters, which had a notorious reputation for clogging, bad filtering, etc. Their Extra Guard, Tough Guard, X2 and Double Guard are all considerably better than what they replaced.

the X2 is a very good filter but like you said, it's expensive. it does allow you to extend you oil change but i prefer to change at 5k miles max.

my previous Toyotas (both Tercels) never required more than 1/2 qt every 5k miles.

Reply to
pcnut

when it's very cold i will sometimes get a trace of blue smoke on startup--but we're talking below 0 deg F. i never get blue smoke in the summer. i don't use high mileage oils since the car only has 45k miles.

i may check into Purolator filters if i can get them cheap locally.

do a search and you will see the posts i'm referring to. supposedly Toyota did it for emissions standards. i don't notice the engine in my Camry ever running hot. the temp guage usually stays at or below 1/3, even if i have the air running on a 85+ deg day. it has never gone to

1/2 no matter how hot it's been outside.

i'm not sure if the lifters are hydraulic or solid. only in the case of the latter can they be adjusted (AFAIK).

Reply to
pcnut