1999 Camry AC not working

Hi,

My '99 Camry's AC was not working properly since LAST FALL when I last serviced the car with the dealer. Since it was late fall and I didn't use the car in the winter, I hoped it would be nothing major.

Last week, when I checked the AC with a local ACE certified mechanic, he showed me how the tester he used started beeping rapidly on certain areas in front of the condenser. He says it will cost about $750 to fix it.

I am almost deciding to sell the car rather than pay nearly 15% of its current value to fix the AC.

Would greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!

Reply to
KPR

I take it you have leak[s]. What did he say needed replaced?

Reply to
Hopkins

Thank you for the prompt response.

The ASE certified mechanic has just written "Condenser Recovery D--- Labor Feron + Oil" and $733 approximate. I am not sure if that's adequate information. Please let me know.

In the meantime, I am planning to show the car to the dealer and see what he has got to say.

Thank you again.

Reply to
KPR

Thank you for the prompt response.

The ASE certified mechanic has just written "Condenser Recovery D--- Labor Feron + Oil" and $733 approximate. I am not sure if that's adequate information. Please let me know.

In the meantime, I am planning to show the car to the dealer and see what he has got to say.

Thank you again.

Reply to
KPR

If it is any consolation (which it isn't :-(), I have a 99 Camry which experienced exactly the same problem a year or two ago. I had a leak somewhere in the AC system (o-rings??), dealer repaired the leak and changed the dryer and recharged the system, ran fine for a couple of weeks, and then failed again. This time, he said that there were pinhole leaks in the condenser .... and quoted me approx the same repair cost which you got.

99 Camrys are junk.....compared to the 90 and 95 models which just seem to run & run .....lots of people seem to be having very similar problems (water pumps seizing, taking out the t-belt; IAC gumming up causing idle trbls, etc., etc. I doubt whether I will buy my 4th Toyota when it becomes time to replace #2 (1995 Camry LE) or #3 (1999 Camry LE).
Reply to
Justa Lurker

Thank you Justa. I plan to take the car to the dealer next week and see what they say.

Interesting that you mention about the '99 Camry issues. Last year I had to spend $700 to replace my entire front brakes and I vowed that that will be the last major expenditure before I sell the car. And now this!

I don't mind spending if I intend to keep the car for a long period; at this point, I don't think I will keep it beyond two years and it pains me to spend close to 15% of its market value.

Your info that many '99 camrys have a lot of problems is making me lean towards selling the car. (but again, the car has never given me any other problem for the last five years and I feel bad!)

Let's see what the dealer has to say.

Thanks again for the input. Appreciate it.

Reply to
KPR