1999 Camry Check Engine Light

One of the fuses can be pulled which will cause the codes to be cleared. Get Haynes or Chilton book and it will identify the correct fuse. Alternately, disconnect the battery will have the same effect but will also reset other things that you might not want reset (e.g., perhaps a radio security code). Also check your owners manual - it might identify the fuse.

I would th>My Camry has 87,000 miles and yesterday I went to the Toyota dealer and had

Reply to
kiselink

It could be as simple as a loose or bad gas cap

Reply to
m Ransley

My Camry has 87,000 miles and yesterday I went to the Toyota dealer and had the timing belt changed. When I brought the car in the engine light was on. The dealer said it was the fuel sensor and one of the two needed replacing. I assume he meant O2 sensor. To replace one it was $412, and I told him I would do it my self. I replaced both O2 sensors and the engine light is still on. Should it go off by it self or does it take a few starts to clear?

Thanks,

Reply to
William

My 2001 V6 Camry (104,000 mi) check engine light illuminated about two weeks ago. Had Auto Zone take a computer reading (with no charge,) resulting in two codes: P0171 and P0174, system too lean. I researched and found that spraying the MAF sensor with electronic cleaner may fix the problem.

Four dollars and six hours after cleaning the sensor, the check engine light went out.

Good luck, Igor

Reply to
Igor N. Nikishin

Try resetting it yourself. To do so, pull the ECU fuse(s) for about a minute. If you don't know which one it is, disconnect your battery for a minute, but doing it this way means you'd have to reset your clock.

Reply to
Viperkiller

Next time get the EXACT codes. Some autoparts chains will read the codes for free. A loose gas cap will cause the check engine light to come on. The Toyota dealers I am sure make a ton of money selling O2 sensors to people with loose gas caps....My O2 sensors are original equipment since I bought my camry new 190,000 miles ago.

Reply to
ROBMURR

there are 2 sensors, usually its the one toward the rear of the car on 4 cyl. camrys

Reply to
toyotawiz