1999 Camry exterior door handle assembly

I've noticed that the "mountings" (that part surrounding the lift-up handles) on the outside of my 99 Camry's exterior doors appear to be coming loose from their inside-the-door panel mountings when I lift up the handle to open the doors (from the outside). The body shop insists that someone probably tried to break into the car but this is unlikely as the vehicle, when not being used, has been parked in a locked garage, in recent years. Anyone else noticed this? The vehicle has 173,000 kilometres on it...about 102,000 miles.

Reply to
Sharx35

I have had to replace those handles before due to the lift-up part breaking. It's not that hard to remove the inside door panel and tighten down the screws holding the whole assembly in place. I'm sure you can find a YouTube video for it.

Reply to
badgolferman

It's just screws holding it in place? The body shop gave me a huge song and dance about elaborate welding being required to "reseat" the door handle assembly so that it lay flush with the door exterior.

Reply to
Sharx35

their screwed on, and usually replaced at a repair shop, not a body shop. They're also made of crappy metal so you may try to tighten them and find that threads have stripped, in which case just by a whole handle off eBay.

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh