1999 camry Plug Replacement

The book on my 99 4-cyl Camry recommnds plug replacement at 60K. Is this really necessary of the car is running OK?

The plugs look very accessible. Are there any tricks to replacing them my self? Can I just unscrew the old ones and screw in the new ones? Do the plugs come with the proper gap? Thanks.

Reply to
woody

I always notice an improvement when replaced and I do it at earlier intervals, You should always check gap and clean the area with compressed air first.

Reply to
m Ransley

No tricks. Unless you have some experience, I'd advise using a torque wrench to tighten to spec so you don't strip the threads. The gap may or may not be right out of the box. You always have to check it before installation.

"When a legislature undertakes to proscribe the exercise of a citizen's constitutional rights it acts lawlessly and the citizen can take matters into his own hands and proceed on the basis that such a law is no law at all."

- Justice William O. Douglas

Reply to
MisterSkippy

Platium plugs come pregapped --- if your try to gap them you will scratch off the thin platium coating. Use anti seize compound on the threads and silicone grease in the plug boots. Stick with OEM NGK or Denso plugs --- avoid Bosch plugs they are utter crap. Remove pulling on the plug boot not the wire!

Reply to
Wolfgang

I don't know about that. I just bought the Densos from the dealer and asked them about that. They said maybe-maybe not. My 97 Camry 4 calls for .40 and I had to set them since they were gapped too large.

--
No matter what happens, someone will find a way to take it too
seriously.

The factory service manual calls for checking plug gaps prior to installation also - though I suspect the ND is rarely off - mine weren't, but fortunately my wire gauge set didn't have the exact right size - had one mm over and under so I could check the gap by "go or no go" - I do believe there is a risk of scratching the platinum coating, although platinum is a very hard material, so by carefully checking that slightly under goes and slightly over does not, could check without dragging a thickness gauge over the electrodes and still have complete accuracy.

Reply to
Daniel

My 1999 4-cylinder calls for the dual ground electrode platinum plugs

- they cost about $12 each from the Toyota dealer. The side of my engine had a sticker which said to use only a certain plug, and I have no qualms of going with stock parts.

Good thing I did too, as someone had popped in a set of aftermarket conventional Autolites.

Reply to
Ken Peterson