1999 Toyota Camry ABS problem

Yesterday, my 99 Camry (153,000 km), presented with the following problem: the ABS error indicator started flashing. Every few minutes it would stop for a minute or two, but always started again. The regular brakes worked fine--I didn't force a test on the ABS by standing on the brake pedal. No other error lights. I dropped it off at my long-time repair shop which specializes in brakes, suspension, and steering. I fully expected to hear that a wheel speed sensor or even the ABS ECU had "gone south". Or the wiring, even.

Next day, the service manager called, indicating that he had scanned the codes, finding NOTHING. He took the vehicle out for a test drive and the ABS worked fine. Then he showed me a jumper pin (somewhat "U" shaped) that he had found stuck in the "jack" where one connects the code scanner. He said that his documentation said that to stop a flashing ABS condition to remove that pin. Well, NO ONE else has had access to the car for at least 8 months. How that pin got there is a mystery. The ABS light, aside from going on for a second or so when the car is started, has never been a problem before. He waived all charges for the test drive, safety inspection, etc.. He and that shop have been in business, with a good record, for over 20 years. He COULD have scammed be big time for ABS repairs. I have the car back now and everything appears normal. I've been the only owner of that vehicle. The only other driver is my wife. Ideas???

David B.

Reply to
Sharx3335