1999 Toyota Camry - Engine Knock

My 1999 Toyota Camry makes a knocking noise only when it's cold and idle. The first time I tap the gas, it goes away. I could leave it idle after that - even cold, and it makes no unusual noise. Any idea what this could be? Is it serious? Seems to be fine other than that.

Thanks,

RN

Reply to
RN

I guess I should also note that it has 82,500 miles on it. Thanks!

Reply to
RN

try moving up one grade in gas octane--I use the middle grade 91 octane on my camry-or it knocks 51,000 miles

Reply to
M.Balarama

Try a toyota oil filter, what you have now might have defective anti drain valves

Reply to
ransley

Bullshit. My 99 Camry SIX cylinder uses no-name regular gas with NO problems at 129,000 kilometres.

Reply to
Sharx35

Bullshit. I have a 99 6 cyl. Camry and haven't used Toy filters for years.

Reply to
Sharx35

If its preignition knock you have other issues like timing advanced or some other bad control like the knock sensor. His knock noise is lack of oil and Ive had bad filters that go empty

Reply to
ransley

Bullshit is your statement like most of them retard, I had 3 bad filters in a row, I had noise of lack of oil, removed filter with a different brand. When I removed it, it had no oil in it it had leaked back in the motor overnight.

Reply to
ransley

If you stopped cheaping out and used synthetic oil, you wouldn't have had the problem.

Reply to
Sharx35

Sounds like valve clatter or piston slap, and not likely pinging/knocking (detonation). Pinging most often occurs when the engine gets hotter, and if it goes away when the engine gets warm, it is probably something else.

I think I would try Mobil 1 for high mileage cars just to see what would happen. Do not use regular Mobil 1 on a car with a lot of engine wear.

Reply to
Mark A

I use full synthetic, always have, Mobil 1, 5-30, and I dont mean to be rude to you again. Google defective anti drainback valves toyota, and check out

forums. Bob has the most complete advise out there, it will help anyone who wants a motor to last. His info will shock many.

Reply to
ransley

.

I guess that link in ng, google what i said he has a forum on oil issues.

Reply to
ransley

I don't know if this is the same guy, but here is a link that works:

Mark A

I see it was

forums 2-15-04 a good article, it might be the same bob

Reply to
ransley

Message received. I hope the filter suggestion works for the OP.

Reply to
Sharx35

Sure, lubrication system is a prime suspect. If it's piston slap (excessive clearance between piston/bore), then loss of adequate lubrication can magnify the issue.

If you or a mechanically inclined friend put a oil pressure gauge on there you may notice low oil pressure BEFORE you tap the gas but NORMAL afterwards. Then this confirms what others are saying (especially if tapping gas solves the noise problem). Except I'd try a Purolator PureOne filter or Bosch Filtech filter. But people's mileage vary.

PureOne, highest ranked in SAE tests:

Bosch Filtech:

My 1999 Toyota Camry makes a knocking noise only when it's cold and

Reply to
johngdole

I wonder if oil is to thick, it wont flow quick enough to the top. But years ago my 84 camry, even near new idled at Zero. Or oil passages are nearly clogged shut from sludge. Isnt oiling so overlooked, because we cant see it in action and motors last so long these days. In the 40s you were lucky to go 60000, 60s- 100000. 80s 150000. Now its 200 300000 if lucky,

Reply to
ransley