1999 Toyota camry Warm start roblem

I have a 1999 Camry with about 100,000 miles on it and it has just started to give me problems. Now that the weather is getting warmer it seems to not want to stay started on initial start. As soon as I start it up the idle is very low and then it stalls out. The only way I can get it it to stay started is to hold the gas pedal down for about ten seconds after it starts and then the idle speed jumps up a little and it runs normal. Can anyone give me a little help on this?

Reply to
jap292

Google search for "IAC" valve and procedure to clean it. Sure sounds like that may because cause of your problem.

Reply to
Justa Lurker

Sounds like your IAC valve, if you don't want to do the clean-up procedure mentioned in this group, your other options are to have a fuel induction service for about $100 with a coupon or replace the whole valve, that'll require a trip to your dealer and about $400. After that, you'll have to keep an eye on it, because it tends to return. After a full replacement, you won't have a problem for a long time...over a year anyway. As cars get older they run dirtier and this clogs up the valve quicker, that's why Camrys don't have a problem until the 7 year mark and then most of us have problems. You can at least put your mind at ease that it isn't serious and is VERY common.

Reply to
<psommerhalder

Thanks for the info I, from reading other threads I kind of figured thats what it was. I did price out a new one for about $260. from auto zone. I'm going to replace it the next chance I get just so I don't have to deal with tearing it apart again for a while.

Reply to
jap292 via CarKB.com

Try spraying Tri-Flow into the IAC air intake (rectangular opening - bottom of throttle body, right in frint), with the engine stumbling at cold idle. After I replaced the valve, problem returned, but this solved it. My theory is that there is no lubrication for this valve to rotate - every time engine goes from cold to warm - and it can stick. When I took out the old valve, just out of curiosity I pulled it apart, and there were some wear marks on the surface of the cylinder that moves to reveal an opening for air flow. Tri-Flow contains Teflon, and so far, it has continued to work just fine with a single application to the new valve.

Reply to
Daniel