1999 V6 Transmission Grit

I noticed some hesitation when accelerating. My dad said it might be the transmission. Now the car has 124,000 miles and has never had the transmission fluid changed. When I checked the transmission fluid there was some grit on the stick, the oil was brownish red, and felt more like motor oil. Any thoughts on the condition of the fluid?

Reply to
Honda-Man

Do you ever change your engine oil? How about your clothes. By now you should of had maybe 4 changes, people like you amaze me.

Reply to
m Ransley

If only brown you may be OK. Best to change the fluid now, a good DIY job. Just drain and replace, then do it again in another say few hundred miles. If still dark, do it again.

Reply to
toyomoho

Drop the pan, change the filter, do it right you obviously have neglected the car to death. get a manual and follow it for once.

Reply to
m Ransley

I think someone asked this before, but I never saw the answer.....when you change auto transmission fluid (on say, 95 Camry or 99 Camry) ----

(1) What size wrench to use on drain plug ?

(2) What size/type of drain plug gasket is required ?

in order to have on hand before beginning the job.

Thanks !

Reply to
Justa Lurker

Automatic transmissions dump all their clutch and band wear material into the oil. There's often some metal as well from the drums which the bands brake against on gear-changes. It is very important to change the ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) before it changes color too much. Yours is way past that, so it's urgent. Having said that, hesitation on accelerating is likely more an engine management problem or an ignition or fuel related fault, as transmissions causing that symptom would also be making expensive noises IMHE.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Amen...It is hard to fathom that some people abuse their vehicles this way.

Reply to
<HLS

I agrre with jason. Hesitation maybe a result of a number of things, judging from your post I would imagine you only add gasoline on your car to keep it going and nothing more. There maybe other reasons and not A/T fluid alone, but nonetheless you should change it now.

Another th> "Honda-Man" wrote in

messagenews:%bFlh.957$kB3.956@trnddc08...

all their clutch and band wear material into

Reply to
EdV

All - you have been very helpful and I understand my next weekend's activity.

Reply to
Honda-Man

It's way overdue for the ATF change. You should consider changing the strainer as well. Don't just clean the strainer. A mesh screen inside a casing can't effectively be cleaned. Use a $20 Fram ATF kit that comes with a cork rubber gasket (not the recycled rubber tire kind). Add the amount of Dexron III you drain out. Make sure the fluid is at the correct level. Don't forget to drain the differential as well.

H> I noticed some hesitation when accelerating. My dad said it might be the

Reply to
johngdole

After checking the level from the stick, Step on the brakes and shift the gear from Park to Low several times and then check the level again.

Reply to
EdV