1MZ-FE water pump change, identify this part?

Hi,

I'm changing the water pump on the '02 Sienna, 1MZ-FE engine. Yes I know this is the Camry newsgroup, but this engine is similar to the V6 on the Camry, right? Plus I think the folks here are more knowledgeable than the folks on alt.autos.toyota...

I removed the water pump, and this gold-colored washer fell out. I have no idea where this part came from; I didn't notice it when I removed the 10mm nuts and bolts securing the water pump to the engine.

Where does it belong???

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

is it the one at 1.28 seconds on this video?

Fat-Dumb and Happy

Yes it is! Thank you! =)

Reply to
mrdarrett

EXACTLY what I was thinking, cool vid.

btw, that's the quietest air ratchet in the world! GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Yeah it was really quiet!

I should have watched the thing to the end. Moving the rear camshaft pulle y forwards slightly to tighten the belt seems a lot easier than what I did. When I installed the new timing belt, I had a really tough time making al l the marks line up, especially the rear camshaft pulley. I had the idea t o remove the top idler, put the belt on the rear pulley, THEN reinstall the top idler. I did that, but I guess I put too much force on the belt and t he rear camshaft pulley sprang forward. That noise was something (scared m e half to death). When putting it back in alignment I noticed it's not in a stable spot at the mark, like it is on the 5S-FE. Imagine a ball on the top of a hill... it wants to roll downwards. Surprised. And a bit apprehe nsive if I mashed a valve or something as the camshaft sprang forward. I t hink it's an interference engine after all... VVT-i, 2002 Sienna 1MZ-FE.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

it's unlikely you damaged anything by hand GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh