2 Starters later - still grinding noise at startup

I have a 6cylinder '92 Toyota Camry LE. I just had a used engine put in it (original had 236,000 before it gave up the ghost). Used engine supposedly has about 95,000. I started having an occasional grinding noise upon turning key - would happen once, then maybe not again for the next 15 times or so, then would happen one more time, then not again. I had the starter replaced. Still did it. I had the starter replaced again. Just picked it up today - still doing it. Mechanic said the flywheel looked ok - anybody have thoughts?

Thanks, PosterMan

Reply to
Poster Man

Well, it has to be one of the things you mentioned. Did the tech look at the entire perimiter of the flywheel, or did he just look at one part of the ring gear thru the starter hole?? If you know the starter is correct and working properly (most probably the case, as you replaced it twice), then the problem is either with the mounting of the starter or the flywheel. Is the engine EXACTLY the same as the original?? Maybe you have the correct starter for your car, but not for new engine. Otherwise, make sure the entire ring gear has been inspected for dead spots. Do this by removing the starter and having someone manually turn the engine one revolution whilst inspecting the ring gear through the starter hole.

Reply to
qslim

Did he use a rebuilt or new unit, I went through 3 in 2 weeks once. Or look good at flywheel while it is engaging

Reply to
m Ransley

Reply to
Poster Man

Yes, engine is the same (originally the used engine place sent him a Lexus engine - that,needless to say, didn't fit). So I think this time we did get the exact engine - I know he gave them the VIN number of of my car - how they screwed up by sending a Lexus Engine the first time is beyond me. I read the notes you guys posted to him and he said yes, the flywheel is fine (checked carefully when putting new engine in). He is pondering whether it might possibly be ignition switch as well.

Thanks again for all your help!

Reply to
Poster Man

Ignition switch on the steering column? I thought the noise was from the starter. A new genuine Toyota will work. Alot of rebuilts are not rebuilt correctly.

Reply to
m Ransley

yeah, I suppose that an area of high resistance in the circuit would rob the necessary current for the starter pinion to fully engage the wire. I've seen that problem a few times, but the symptom was pretty much constant. Perhaps a votage drop test is in order... Lemee know what your guy finds, now I'm curious.

Reply to
qslim

Well it is from the starter. I'm not a mechanic so I'm not sure what the ignition switch might have to do with it , other than the suggestion that it isn't getting enough voltage perhaps. I can only guess what a new Toyota starter would run me. whew. I'll check that out - I'm sure it is gold plated. :) Maybe I'll call a Toyota svc manager and see if they have any insights on this, although I'm sure I'll hear the old refrain that I should bring it in and let them check it out. $$$$

Reply to
Poster Man

You have some bad teeth on the ring gear. Difficult to fix. Dick

Reply to
Dick Byrd

Just a guess. Sometimes the starter has to be shimmed to make sure the starter and fly wheel interface correctly. Is the fly wheel 100 % true ? Have them check the run-out on it. Good Luck.

Reply to
W.T. MC GLYNN

It is the flywheel, sorry to say.

Reply to
Viperkiller

Reply to
Poster Man

There's a spot on the flywheel that's damaged. Probably from some genius trying to start the car while it's running. I doubt your mechanic rotated and inspected the entire flywheel.

Reply to
Rog

in other words, it won't really affect you, don't spend more money on it.

Reply to
Rog