200,000 mi. and counting: '94 Camry

Today she just turned over 200,000 miles. I got her new in 1994--a Camry LE 4-cylinder 2-door coupe, and put mostly highway miles on her.

She still has the old get-up-and-go; I had her up to 100 mi./hr. the other day without strain, and she had plenty left to go. There's a big hill on I-5 which I regularly traverse, and I stay in the fast lane at around 70 mph; in fact, she still has enough power to accelerate to more than 75 mph while going uphill.

This car does not burn oil. I know this for a fact because I have always done my own oil changes (and spark plug changes--no black, oily residue on the old plugs). From the beginning, after the break-in period, I've used nothing but synthetic oil. I really became convinced after my first oil change. Since the car was new, I kept careful track of my gas mileage out of curiosity. After I did my first oil change, my gas mileage increased by

4 mi./gal. (That's with synthetic oil.) At first I used Castrol Syntec, but when I heard (on this newsgroup) that Castrol changed its original PAO formula, I switched to Mobil 1 which still uses PAO. I also use OEM Denso oil filters, which I get online at .

I use Mobil 1 ATF, which I also get online at . (Living in a rural area makes it difficult to find locally precisely the auto parts I want. The Internet is a great invention--thanks, Mr. Gore.) I have never had any transmission problems.

I use Denso Iridium 0.4 mm high performance spark plugs, available at . I noticed a small increase in power and gas mileage after switching to these from the standard platinum plugs. However, the 0.4-mm-thin electrode necessitates changing the plugs every

30,000 miles. There is a Denso iridium plug with fatter 0.7 mm electrodes which, it is claimed, needs to be replaced no less than at an incredible 120,000 miles.

I had the cooling system flushed and refilled twice at 60,000 miles and

120,000 miles with distilled water and Prestone antifreeze. Never had a problem with overheating.

The timing belt was replaced once at about 155,000 miles after the original one broke. Since this is a non-interference engine, there was no damage from the unexpected break.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Techron additive in Chevron gasoline, so I have used Chevron gas exclusively (although once, and only once, I filled it up with Texaco) from the beginning. I don't know if it's the Techron, but I have never had problems with clogged fuel injectors. I guess it at least doesn't hurt.

I use Toyo 800 Ultra tires, which I get from my local Les Schwab. My last set went 90,000 miles and still had adequate tread, but one of them blew out after I accidentally ran over a piece of truck tire (retread); I guess some of the steel belt punctured the sidewall. I get 4-wheel alignments every few months along with tire rotations and balancing, and that keeps the tires in good shape.

The only problem I've ever had with this car is that once the driver's side power window ceased to function. It cost a painful $400 to fix, but it happened only once. Oh yes, also the power antenna is stuck in the raised position. Other than these things, this car has been a pure joy to own and drive, and it looks like it'll go at least another hundred grand.

When I finally do retire her with honor, I'm guessing that I'll get another TOYOTA!

Reply to
Zvpunry W. Ebfraobet

I had a 94 Camry also and loved it. I had a bit more problems than you, especially with seals and rubber boots, but certainly didn't give it the TLC you did. Have you had any problems with motor mounts or drive axles?

Reply to
badgolferman

On 14 Jul 2005 12:25:35 GMT, badgolferman ("badgolferman" ) wrote (in ):

[snipped]

No, I've never had problems with those. This car has been relatively problem-free. As for seals, maybe it's a function of geographic location. I've owned this car in the west and the Pacific northwest, so the climate is usually pretty nice and there are no issues with road salt.

Reply to
Zvpunry W. Ebfraobet

An impressive effort from the Camry. If you dont mind me asking,..what oil-change intervals did you use?

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

got 235 k on my '96 dx coupe, change the oil every 4-5k, went through 2 timing belts and a set of axles, now on my 3rd set of brakes, use regular gas, don't care where I buy it, the cheaper the better....

Reply to
steve-o

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 20:40:39 GMT, Jason James ("Jason James" ) wrote (in ):

Thanks; she's a great car. I got used to 3,000-mile oil change intervals with an older car and dino oil, so I carried that habit over to this car. It's probably overkill with synthetic oil, but it certainly doesn't hurt. I don't mind the extra trouble and expense.

Reply to
Zvpunry W. Ebfraobet

On 14 Jul 2005 15:16:12 -0700, steve-o ("steve-o" ) wrote (in ):

Great job--you really travel a lot! Your car is two years younger than mine.

Reply to
Zvpunry W. Ebfraobet

Used to drive 30-35k miles per year, then dropped down to around 20.. Something about those 2 dr coupes. They are special!. Just keep doing what you've been doing and your good for at least another 50k!.

Reply to
steve-o

.

Hi, I feel my 4cyl 1995 2.2 Auto CAMRY is only just run in now if I consider your mileage figures. Its got 73500 miles on it and I have had it since new.

One timing belt at 60k One brake line at 65k Just replaced the original battery at 9 years 3 Months That's unbelievable in my experience Still on original silencer ( muffler )

Woopee.

Johnny UK.

Reply to
JM

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 17:52:20 +0100, JM ("JM" ) wrote (in ):

That's right, your Camry is just broken in. That's an incredible battery you had. I've had two batteries since the original. I'm also on my original muffler. Also, the air conditioner has never been serviced and still cools well.

Reply to
Zvpunry W. Ebfraobet

It is cheap maintenance, I mean an oil-change and filter is less than one tank of petrol. I do my '96 2nd hand Camry at 3000 k intervals as it has some oil-residue tar due abuse at some stage. Its on 170,000ks though and is a tight quiet car body-wise. The engine is a little noisy in the overhead-gear, but is OK otherwise.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Congrats, Just replaced the battery on my wife's '97 at 8 years, which I consider exceptional service too. No other repairs other than services and the harness in trunk at hinge. Only has 35K appx, though. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Shhhhh!. Im hoping to find someone "afraid" that there 70k camry is near death.. Common mentality is to start worrying around that stage. Most think at 100k the car is done. Don't tell anyone...:).. I'm lookin' to buy another 2 dr or maybe even a solara. 70 k would scare most people but not me..

Reply to
steve-o

On 17 Jul 2005 12:24:27 -0700, steve-o ("steve-o" ) wrote (in ):

Yes, a lot of people get anxious at that mileage and think their cars will disintegrate like the one that W.C. Fields was riding in in "The Bank Dick." Well, that was before Toyotas were available.

Anyway, your secret is safe with me. Hey, everyone reading this thread--Camrys will not go past 70k without self-destructing! Better get rid of it before it's too late! I know just the sucker who'll take that bomb off your hands, especially if it's a Solara. :-)

Reply to
Zvpunry W. Ebfraobet

My 1990 Camry just turned 232,000 with just a few minor bugs. AC went out in April, the radio buttons are falling off, no light on radio buttons, transmission is beginning to skip if I don't warm her up, blue smoke out the tail pipe, some rust. But all in all a damn fine vehicle. Last month ordered a 5M SE Sport Solara. The dealer says 2 to 9 months to get it. I drove my current Camry with 6 miles on the odometer off the lot in 1990 and still have her. There isn't a better car in America for the price, safety or reliability.

Tony

Reply to
AHJ

Reply to