2000 Camry Check Engine Light

I have a 2000 Camry LE (4-cyl), with ~93,000 miles. The check engine light came on today, just after fueling the car. After checking the newsgroups, I found the following: - Could be caused by the gas cap. Make sure the gas cap is properly installed (done); - Could be caused by the EGR valve (hadn't checked yet)

I plan to drive the car tomorrow to see if removing and reinstalling the gas cap was the problem. If this did not solve the problem, I am interested in checking the computer codes.

Would someone suggest the way to check the codes, and also suggest how to reset them? (Will pulling the ECU fuse reset the codes, and does doing so cause problems elsewhere?)

Thank you, Steve

Reply to
Steve B

it may take severa starting/driving cycles to turn off the light if it was the gas cap. You can disconnect power and reset the code that way. some autoparts places will read the code for free.you may want to find out what it is before you clear it.

Reply to
ROBMURR

I had the same problem last year, it turned out that the vapour pressure sensor went dead. It is best that you find out what is the exact problem for the light.

Yeah, it's very annoying to have somebody else read the code, will cost money too. They should have include a more advanced display like the ones on Prius or a USB plug for connection to a laptop.

Reply to
Godzilla

Just 'cuz the check engine light goes out on it's own, doesn't mean the problem is solved, at least according to my local TOY dealer.

My car is still under warranty. Had the check engine light go on and stay on for awhile, then went out.

Called the dealer, they said I needed to bring it in. Bad O2 sensor. Same problem just the other day. They claim that if the light comes on, it needs to be investigated whether it goes off or not.

Some parts stores will check the code for free...locally, the "AUTO ZONE" chain will do that for nada. OF course, they hope to sell the needed part.

Reply to
Tim J. Johson

Except on a Prius the screen doesn't show you any error codes related to check engine lights and such.

Most cars these days have an OBD-II port where you can interface with the car's computer systems and read off error codes. For most cars, you can buy a dongle or other device that'll let you connect to it and read codes from your computer or PDA or such. (In the case of the Prius you mention, it uses a slightly different protocol than most cars use, so the off-the-shelf retail OBD-II readers won't work.)

Reply to
Michelle Vadeboncoeur

For those interested:

I took the Camry to AutoZone, and found the code to state "restricted airflow" to the EGR (which I believe was code 401). I then spoke with my local Toyota Service Center, with whom I have a good relationship, and relayed my findings. They stated it could be a number of things, and that I should allow them to diagnose the problem before I spend $155+ on a new EGR valve.

In the end, my Toyota Service Center found the problem to be the EGR vaccuum valve, which they replaced (parts + labor) for less than I would have bought the EGR valve.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B