2000 Camry Lock System Problem

Hello everyone,

I have a 2000 Toyota Camry XLE. Today, I started having problems with the lock system. This is the first time I have experienced this. When I would press on the keyless pad to lock, or unlock the doors, I could not hear any beep sound, that normally happens. The doors would not lock, I tried locking manually from the lock button on the door panel, but that didn't work either. I also notice at that moment, that the dome light stopped working and the factory clock built into the dash, stopped working as well around the same time. Could this be a fuse problem, or something worse?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
czachary2

I believe that the dome light fuse also supplies power to the remote sensor.

Reply to
Johnnyboy

If the fuse is blown then you have to check for short circuits. Maybe worn wires shorted where it enters the door and flexes a lot. Maybe the switch panel's gone bad. Or maybe the alarm control module has gone south with a short. Basically everything downstream of the fuse is suspect.

If you use Toyota's OEM alarm (by fujitsu-ten), you can get complete installation instructions from their fax back number (google for this) if you need diagrams to check this.

Reply to
johngdole

Hi everyone, I have an update. I now noticed that the locks work from the door panel lock buttons, only when the car is running. But, the remote key pad with factory installed alarm, dome lights and clock still do not work. Would this mean that there is a short circuit somewhere? If so, any ideas what this would cost at the dealer?

Thanks for you last reply.

Reply to
czachary2

So the power circuit to the door lock solenoids (motors) are actually OK. You need to replace the fuse to the dome and clock. See your owner's manual about this. You should have 3 spare fuses in the main engine fuse box.

Did you check the battery in the remote? Does the light come on when you press it?

Then you might want to check the alarm control module (under the drive side console). Because turning the engine on with the key disables the alarm.

Reply to
johngdole