2000 Camry Oil Filter

I have a 2000 Camry 4 cylinder. Is a Toyota brand Oil Filter really that much better than a Purolator or Fram? I have to change the oil for the first time since I got the car and I was wondering. Thanks.

Reply to
Ed Warren

Generally, you get what you pay for. Fram makes 4 different filters, and the cheap ones are terrible. The $10 Fram X2 is quite good. Don't get the $10 Fram filter with PTFE (Teflon) inside (PTFE on the gasket is fine)..

The Purolator One is not bad either, But I would avoid the low end Purolator. The Toyota oil filter is the minimum quality I would use.

Most oil change places will allow you to bring your own filter and they will credit you $1.00, which is about what they pay for the cheap filters.

Reply to
Mark A

The filter many prefer is the Purolator PureOne. It's a very efficient filter and doesn't cost more than OEM ones (except when they are on sale). There was an article about the finer the filtration the less wear it is for the engine, despite the claim that 25 microns is all that matters.

Most manufacturers actually use filter media that filters down to 25 micr> I have a 2000 Camry 4 cylinder. Is a Toyota brand Oil Filter really that

Reply to
johngdole

Here you go, this engineer studied ALL oil filters. This study will amaze you....

Here is another condensed version of another test from a different source.

TOYOTA was rated INFERIOR, So, its NOT true that you get what you pay for.

Another Test here

Rich

Reply to
CamryMan

This is like a religious argument - people have differing strongly held beliefs. My view is that the most important consideration is how frequently and regularly the oil is changed. During normal use acids are created and additives depleted - a process unaffected by oil filter choice. People have seen 400,000 miles and more with stock Toyota oil filters. Personally, I'm a great believer in staying with genuine Toyota parts because I've found the level of quality and fit and design to be excellent. Since I keep my vehicles a long, long time, I value the exact original replacement parts. Remember when comparing oil filter media filtration specifications, that your engine is rated to run up to 6,200 rpm and that there is an inverse realtionship between filtration efficiency and flow rate - that is, finer filtration media is more restrictive, so there is an engineering trade off in design.

Reply to
Daniel

That's fine, but of course you understand that Toyota doesn't actually manufacture oil filters. They are made by other companies for Toyota, and usually they dual sourced so as not to rely on only one supplier.

I think the Toyota oil filter is acceptable, and better than some, but it is easy to find a better quality filter if one is willing to spend about $10 - $12.

Reply to
Mark A

These are interesting links. Toyota engines are more family oriented than racing oriented so there is less discussion on it. People should do more filter studies.

Purolator does make some of toyota's filters but the bulk comes from south Asia. The cost is low and probably explains the inferior filtration rating. I use Purolator PureOne with a multipass efficiency of 98%

The only other filter with a better efficiency rating AND flow rate are Champion Lab filters (marketed under GM AC-Delco Gold, Platinum or something like that). Other filters I have not seen any writing about being better than PureOne.

If you can get a Toyota filter made by Purolator it's ok, then you might as well get a PureOne.

Reply to
johngdole

Having read pages of "studies" on filters, and talked to mechanics. Most mechanics say that if you change your oil filter and oil on a paranoid basis -- 3K --, as I do, even a cheap Fram filter is fine.

If not, you might want to step up to a better grade. I would submit Wix is probably among the best domestic filter, but they are hard to find. However, the Napa gold filter is just a Wix with a Napa brand name painted on it, and Napa parts stores are all across the country. I pretty much use the Napa gold, or, the regular Purolator, which is also a darn good filter.

I think it was the minimopar study that raised questions about the PURE ONE from Purolator. He actually thought it filtered almost too well and as such actually didn't allow enough oil through the medium....Don't know, I use the Pure One on occassion, but don't usually like to spend the extra couple of bucks, based on what the mechanics have told me.

As for the Toyota brand filter, Toy dealers across the country seem to sell them for $4 to $6. And considering the markup that Toy puts on all the rest of their parts, it makes me suspicious. Just how much are they paying for this filter -- it doesn't seem like they could be paying too much, so I worry it is a really cheap filter too. Maybe I'm wrong, as I said, with how offer I change the oil it doesn't matter much apparently

Reply to
timbirr

From the oil filter study

Conclusion

Good construction, good flow, good filtering

In the low-priced group, the AC PF, Purolator PremiumPlus, STP, and SuperTech appear to be good choices. These four filters are "best buys" because they doing most things well and are in the low-priced group.

In the mid-priced group, the Baldwin and WIX appear to be good choices. Both have construction that is excellent.

In the high-priced group, the Amsoil, Mobil 1, Fram XG, and K&N appear to be good choices.

Excellent filtering

The Fram TG and Purolator PureOne have excellent filtering. They do flow less than filters with less filtering. Both are in the mid-priced group. The AC UPF also has excellent filtering, however, the UPF1218 is no longer manufactured. The UPF series does include other filter applications that are still available.

Excellent flow

The Hastings, Donaldson, and Fleetgard all have excellent flow. Not surprisingly, they are also have larger pore sized media. The Purolator PremiumPlus and Amsoil flow less than these filters, but still better than average and have good or very good filtration.

Reply to
Curtis Newton

The Fram EG noted above, is the X2 Extended Guard , which sells for $10 at Walmart, and not the $3 Extra Guard. It seems to me to be very confusing to refer to the X2 as the "EG". There is no comparison of the X2 filter with the Fram Extra Guard, which is junk (what do you expect for $3).

Fram (Honeywell) actuall sells 4 different models of oil filters (Extra Guard, Double Guard, Tough Guard, and Extended Guard X2), and makes filters for other companies (as do almost all other filter manufacturers).

Reply to
Mark A

I don't see what you are talking about ... here is the paragraph:

"In the high-priced group, the Amsoil, Mobil 1, Fram XG, and K&N appear to be good choices."

Where do they refer to the XG as the EG???

Reply to
Curtis Newton

Sorry, I meant XG. But XG could mean either "Extra Guard" or "Extended Guard", which are 2 different Fram filters. The actual name is the X2 Extended Guard, not the XG.

Reply to
Mark A

Our '95 6-cyl and '00 4-cyl Camrys are doing well with FRAM filters, about $3 each. The '95 just passed its CA smog check with flying colors. Consumer Reports explored this topic back in Feb 1987. It stated: "All the other filters we tested that are commonly used on Nissan and Datsun cars were more efficient than Nissan's own." So one doesn't always get what he pays for.

-Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Slishman