2000 Camry Solara, questoins about trunk switch, dash dome, head lights.

1) I just bought a 2000 Camry Solara, and as far as I can tell, all the accessories work. But I'm not sure what "working" means in every case.

The car has, I forget the exact name, "Theft Prevention" or "Avoidance" AIUI, that means it has a transponder in the key and won't start without it. It also came with two remotes, that lock and unlock the doors, and set off an alarm in the car if I push the red Panic button on the remote

Is there more to it than that?

The electrical wiring diagram is pretty complicated and it implies to me that there's a lot more to it, and especially it shows that the turnk latch switch is connected to the power door lock "integration relay", so it must do more than just turn on the trunk light. But when the doors are locked using the remote, and I open the trunk, it doesn't set off the alarm. Is it supposed to do so?

2) There is a litte dome on the right side of the dash board that I've learned keeps track of daylight, and in some circumstances turns the headlights to full brightness when twilight comes.

But there is also a smaller dome on the left side of the dashboard, just to the left of the defrosher vent. What does this do>

3) Also, the headlights confuse me. The owners manaual seems to say that when I turn off the ignition switch, they will go off, even when on full brightness, when the swtich is turned to the Headlight position, , and I think sometimes t hey do. But other times I turn off the car and t he lights stay on! Is it on a timer maybe? If it's a timer, how long will they stay on. If there is no timer, please try to unconfuse me.

Thanks.

Reply to
micky

I"m pretty sure now that there IS more to it than that. I found the Theft *Deterrent* ECU in the wiring diagram, and it appears the alarm horn should go off when the car has been closed and locked by the remote, and then unlocked by reaching in through the window, and opening the door. Is that right? It doesn't.

Well, I sat in the car the whole time, does that make a difference?

Apparently opening the trunk with the key won't set off the alarm. I don't really like that, but for now it's okay. I always disable the mechanical trunk release** by the drivers seat, because the car is a convertible, but tomorrow I will open the trunk that way and see if the alarm goes off.

**The last car, a 95 Lebaron, also had a mechanical remote trunk release, but I permanently disabled it and put in an electric trunk releease, which wouldn't work except in ACC and ON, or with the alarm remote.

??

Does it matter if the liight witch is on Off, Parking light, or Headight?

Reply to
micky

It turns out the dome on the left is the "solar sensor", but that leaves open the question, What is the dome on the right?

Reply to
micky