2000 Camry struts and shocks???

Recently as I drive the car, I notice some rattling noises coming from the front of the car. I'm not sure if it is in my suspension assembly or just some other part knocking around in there. It only seems to happen when I go over medium size bumps and larger. Also when I go over large dips in the road, the car seems to almost bottom out. I suspect the rear struts need to be replaced, but I dread thinking about the cost. Has anyone out there had a job like this done, and if so, How much did it cost to repair? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
anthonyzadeh

Do all 4 for saftey and ride, just call for bids at different shops

Reply to
ransley

That generation of Camrys (4-cyl) also have weak rear springs. When the struts go out, you can experience bottoming going over even smaller bumps/holes. IMO KYB struts are not worth a labor putting them in.

A strut and a mount, for each corner, is about $140. Add $30-50 labor per corner. If you have a shop do it, expect $700-800 plus an alignment afterwards. If the ball joints or lower control arm bushings are shot, then another $400-500?

From my other post on 99 defective strut mounts:

For that generation of Camrys the front strut mounts are defective (if the noise aren't from struts and ball joints). The next generation the rear strut mounts are defective.

People have complained that the aftermarket KYB mounts look real cheap, like old mounts painted over (google). I personally would go with Spicer Professional series. Spicer is a Tier-1 supplier. In the tuner circle, KYB means "Keep Your Bilsteins". I'd stay away from KYB.

The only thing I don't like about the Monroe Quickstrut is the SensaTrac strut they used. These older designs have a groove cut into the piston rod (who came up with this kind of design?) and are being slowly phased out in favor of the new Reflex. For this reason I would go with Gabriel Ultra at Autozone (they also carry the Bilstein for other cars), with 9 stages of inertia sensitive valving. It's good for typical driving.

See how Gabriel hinted at the cheap SensaTrac "position sensitive" design, heeheehee:

johngdole

I took the car to my toyota dealer and had them look at it. After an hour and a thorough inspection on the vehicle they tell me that it needs four new struts 1 rear strut mount (Boot is torn) and rear sway bar bushings. I said ok, how much is it gonna cost to fix? They drop a

1500 dollar bill (cdn) on my lap. I think that quote is rediculous, but i have never had a problem like this before. Does anyone know if this is reasonable, or blown way out of proportion.
Reply to
anthonyzadeh

You didn't stipulate the year of your camry so its tough to say how much you want to spend but You could do better by 25 to 30 % by going to a non dealer garage or specialty shop. I have work like that done by an excellent two bay mechanic and I know he is honest in his pricing and suggestions.

You pretty much need to cultivate a good independant or someone like that if you want to run a car to high mileages as the "dollarships" will keep you broke.

Reply to
mikewestvale

I'd be careful with that quote and description. At least in the US (maybe all North America, including Canada), Toyota has the following Technical Service Bulletin, valid for 2000 Camrys (VIN range may differ):

Date: 01/21/2000 Component Name: 020000 SUSPENSION NHTSA #: SU00100 SUMMARY: SUBJECT REGARDING FRONT SUSPENSION SUPPORT NOISE. *TT

A bad mount then takes out the strut, and it will make noises too. The rubber spring seats can have holes from slight spring movements when mounts fail. So basically what I'm saying is that you'll likely have to replace the mounts, struts, upper and/or lower rubber spring seats, and maybe the strut bearings (you maybe able to repack it, I do with Redline CV-2 synthetic grease).

Some owners f> I took the car to my toyota dealer and had them look at it. After an

Reply to
johngdole

$1500 CDN is about $1200 USD according to yahoo.com. For four struts and installation that's way too steep.

Camry struts alone are about $60-80 USD these days. Gabriel Ultras and most aftermarkets carry a lifetime warranty. Each corner is about $30-50 USD to install. Plus an alignment afterward. All four corners for your should be about $360-520 USD or $450-650 CDN, for strut replacements only. But like I said, you'll likely need more (+ mounts, maybe rubber seats, bearings, Bumpers are usually still good).

Front Monroe Quick-Struts are about $205 USD, the rears about $170 USD. The cheaper 4-cyl versions ($161) have cheap springs that I'd avoid. I'd get the V6 version with stronger rear springs.

So let me put it this way: How much did the dealer ask for? HA HA HA HA HA

Reply to
johngdole

As you can see, if you add the mounts in addition to struts the price (all in USD, rockauto.com) goes up further (especially at the dealer). That's why some would just go with Monroe's QuickStrut.

Spicer rear mount w/ bellow 5201312 $39.79 x2 Spicer front right mount w/ bearing 5201264 $42.79 Spicer front left mount w/ bearing 5201265 $42.79 Spicer rear stabilizer bar bushings 5501334 $10.63

Check condition of lower front rubber spring seats (~$15 x2) and strut bumper (~$12 x2). Replace if necessary.

Reply to
johngdole

i'm sorry its a 2000 camry LE 4cyl. 2.2 litre

Reply to
anthonyzadeh

The dealer told me that all of the Strut mounts were still good except for the rear passenger one. They told me that the "boot?" was torn and therefore I need to replace my whole strut mount. htey broke everything down as follows: each strut is about 200 bucks plus the mount which was 200 bucks. Then the rear stabilizer bar bushings another 50 bucks plus labor 500 bucks. I asked around about other struts and unless you get them installed by a certified mechanic, then they aren't covered under the warranty. Same with the Toyota parts. If they aren't installed by a dealer, then the warranty is void. I really want to get them to do it, because I like to keep my cars as OEM as possible, but then sometimes it just can't be helped...

Reply to
anthonyzadeh

I would not use a dealer ever for repairs on a 9 year old vehicle. You are just asking to pay way too much.

Reply to
mikewestvale

Ok, if the dealer swears up and down the problematic front mounts are good then we'll take their words for it.

If you want to go with Toyota OEM, then that's fine. The warranty basically charges you many times over, but it's your call. IMO, charging $200 CDN for a ~$50 CDN rear mount is plain ridiculous. People's mileage clearly do vary and I respect that.

Reply to
johngdole

Today, I went to a send dealer to get another inspection done and to see if they were accurate with the first dealer. They weren't even close. They said that both rear struts and strut mounts needed replacing and that with the labor and alignment would come to 950 bucks! This is even higher than the first quote if you think about it, because I am paying almost 1000 for two versus 1400 for 4...i'm thinkin about some napa parts or monroes? Does anybody have experience with either...or what brand I should go with. Anymore help would be great!

Reply to
anthonyzadeh

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You're getting Hosed, all right. NAPA parts are generally good, and Monroe parts... not sure, but I *am* sure that some of their dealers are crooked, so don't have a Monroe dealer install them. So if you are going to have the work done, I'd suggest a reputable shop and NAPA parts.

Reply to
Leftie

I know I have probably tired this topic out by now, but I have one more question. Do I need to change my rear springs? They went under an inspection, and were determined to be ok. There are no cracks in them nor is there any uneven wear throughout the four sides. However, the dealer wants to change them anyways. If there is no need, couldn't I just have them removed from the old shocks and have them put back on the new ones or is that impossible? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reply to
anthonyzadeh

Springs are usually not changed. Check them by measuring the ride height. If one is off by 0.5" then change both sides (per axle).

The rubber parts (boots, spring seats, mounts, and *maybe* urethane strut bumper) may need to be repalced.

I don't know, maybe for Toyota dealer Christmas comes in March and they need to buy gifts. ;)

Reply to
johngdole

hahaha probably. The wear on all four sides is even by 1 inch down. Is that too much? Truthfully, I think that its reasonable considering the vehicle is 9 years old. That and I really don't want to pay $124.00 (each) for springs.

Reply to
anthonyzadeh