2000 Camry Trans Service and Wheel Bearing

I have a 2000 Camry with 172K miles. It is time for the transmission to be serviced. The last time i had the typical flush and fill where they hook up the car to a machine that pushes new fluid into the transmission and the old out. Right now i have a minor leak around the pan so i know i need a new gasket and filter for that matter. I have heard it both ways that i should just drain and replace the filter and gasket and refill. Some people, even the dealer say i need to flush and fill as well as the gasket and filter. What should I do? if i replace the filter and gasket myself which is cheap do i still need to take it to have it flushed?

Also I have a roaring coming from what i think is the rear of the car. It seems to be getting worse. It is easy to hear at around 70 mph. I have been told that this is very expensive. In suggestions of info would be appreciated.

Zane

Reply to
Zane E. Warren

I'm in the camp of not using the flush machine. First of all the machine can't clean out the sediment at the bottom of the pan or clean the magnets; second, a dirty strainer will be just as dirty afterwards; thrid, if they still have reverse flush machines on the market these days the sediments will get pushed into other components where they shouldn't go; finally, if the machine simply taps into the cooler lines not to flush, but to "exchange" old fluid with new, you might as well just drain/refill three times with a short drive in between. If you drain/refill ATF often for under $10 of fluids it shouldn't even become black like engine oil.

If you do the work yourself make sure cleanliness is a top priority. No lint, dirt, solvent etc. Tighten bolts in a circular pattern in steps. I use 1/4" torque wrench from Harbor Freight to a slightly tighter 96 in/lb (~$20 on sale). Measure the amount of fluid drained (from pan and differential) and refill with the proper amount. Since I couldn't get Valvoline ATF on sale I just use Walmart Dexron in the gallon jug. Good deal. You can get Toyota Dexron, but it's probably just overpriced Mobil ATF like everything else they use.

I'll probably settle on drain/refill 7500 miles and strainer/gasket (Fram ATF kit) 15000 miles for the dirty A-series Aisin transmission. Gray particles are clutch pack/brake band friction material. This is how transmissions fail -- gradually, imperceptibly until the thinner clutch packs/brake bands can no longer engage on a cold morning and the tranny slips.

Snap-on fluid exchanger ($5575, FYI only):

Fram ATF kit for A140E: FT1169, $10.60+shipping, rockauto.com
Harbor Freight 1/4"-drive torque wrench: ($19.99 on sale)
Hex socket (10mm needed):

johngdole

Make sure it's the bearing and not sticking brakes grinding on the drum/rotor. A friend with the proper knowledge and access to a press willing to help out is cheaper, just buy a case of beer :) See the following Autozone free repair guide link on how to replace, 2000 similar. Your local NAPA should have a press and can help out for a small tip if you buy the part there.

Wheel bear> Also I have a roaring coming from what i think is the rear of the car. It

Reply to
johngdole

Flush machines push crap into where you dont want it, drop the pan and change the filter, rear wheel bearings should be cheap unless your dealer does it.

Reply to
ransley

Flush machines push crap into where you dont want it, drop the pan and change the filter, rear wheel bearings should be cheap unless your dealer does it.

Agreed. with your high mileage, I think you might do more harm than good by flushing. The old drain and refill a few times would be safer, I think. If your car had 50 or 60K miles on it, flushing might be the better option, but not now.

Reply to
mack

It depends. If the transmission has been both flushed and the pan serviced, alternately for the life of the car, a flush at high mileage won't hurt it. It's when the transmission is allowed to get dirty that flushes become problematic, IMO. We got our '95 Camry with 99k miles on it and an indifferent service record. It's had alternate flushes and changes, and is still fine at 175k, 8+ years later.

That roaring could be just a wheel bearing. If so, it isn't horrifically expensive. Coincidentally, ours has an intermittent 'roar' in the left front. I haven't decided yet if it's the bearing or the tire, because it comes and goes, and sometimes gets louder on right turns, sometimes not...

Reply to
mjc1