2000 V6 Camry cam and/or crank seal(s) leaking

Noticed a little bid of oil under the car but no oil on the garage floor. Car has about 50k miles so do I do the timing belt, water pump and crank/cam seal replacement thing now or wait till 80k miles?

Reply to
** Frank **

You should find out where the oil is leaking -- probably the rear valve cover gasket. It's a known problem with the V6. 50K miles and these rubbers start to weaken sounds about right. It may also be the PCV valve plugging up, forcing oil out of pan gasket, etc lots of possibilities here. So check to see WHERE the oil is leaking from.

The timing belt will begin to stretch at 50K too, but the auto tensioner will take up the slacks and won't let it whip the timing cover like in the 3/5SFE engines. If you have 7 years on the car is about time (time-wise, not mileage-wise).

I'd also replace parts like the following (older prices from

GATES TCK257 timing component kit $89.79 FEL-PRO TCS45890 crank seal $6.27 FEL-PRO TCS45889 cam seal set $8.55 GATES K060410 Alt/AC belt $13.09 GATES K040345 PS belt $8.61 ASCO/AISIN Part # 1610029085 water pump $61.79 (I like to use Airtex pumps from the local NAPA store) Total ~$188 + shipping

If needed: FEL-PRO VS50471R valve cover set (with spark plug tube seals) $30.79

Reply to
johngdole

Thanks for the info, John.

Reply to