2001 Door lock wiring question

I have a 2001 Camry LE I put a remote starter in. It had two wires for the doors and directed me to connect the starter unit Lock wire to DARK BLUE/WHITE, and starter unit Unlock wire to DARK BLUE. The Remote Starter was a low end unit and used a single button to Lock/Unlock on the remote. When I hit the button it either locks or unlocks all 4 doors. Perfect. I miss the dual pulse lock/unlock (unlocking only the driver's door on the first press), but easily accepted it in lieu of carrying two remotes.

I just purchased a higher end starter/alarm that separates the Lock and Unlock, and supports dual pulse. It has three wires, but it's schematic shows it to hook up only the + and - trigger wires, and to the same wires as the one in there now.

POWER LOCK DARK BLUE/WHITE (TYPE B) See NOTE *5 @ ORANGE PLUG BOTTOM OF FUSEBOX

POWER UNLOCK DARK BLUE (TYPE B) SEE NOTE *5 @ ORANGE PLUG BOTTOM OF FUSEBOX

LOCK MOTOR WIRE BLUE/RED (+) @ ORANGE PLUG, BOTTOM OF FUSEBOX

NOTE *5 the LOCK and UNLOCK wires are 18 gauge and WILL ONLY METER while turning the Key in the PASSENGER DOOR KEY CYLINDER, they will not meter when using the power door lock switch.

This got me wondering if the dual pulse is going to work. Digging into the docs (and they are lacking to say the least) it appears it is not sending two pulses.. Just one....

This leads me to believe I'm not going to have dual pulse in the new unit. It will be all 4 lock or unlock when the corresponding button is pressed. If I'm right, this sucks.

Digging around on the internet, I happened across a wiring diagram on directwire.com that's slightly different. It lists the same two wires and the Power Lock and Power Unlock, but it also lists two more..

Lock Motor BLUE/RED Unlock Motor BLUE

OK.. so maybe I'll need to use the other two wires. 5 minutes of troubleshooting should answer that (or maybe one of you can even save me the 5 minutes *hint* *hint*). ;-)

But here's yet another monkey wrench in the gears...

I found another newsgroup posting that says the OEM repair manual lists them as:

Power Lock: Wht/Red LIGHT GREEN (-) 20 PIN CONN IN DRIVER'S KICK PANEL ***

Power Unlock: Yel/Red DARK GREEN (-) 20 PIN CONN IN DRIVER'S KICK PANEL ***

ARGHHHH!!!

It won't take much to troubleshoot which to connect to if it's one of the three. I can probably even determine it without stripping any insulator by probing the wires; or if I'm really ambitious, just open the door up and trace the wires going to the key lock.

But I'm wondering if it's going to require some type of complicated relay configuration.. Let's just say.. I'm not feeling extremely confident tearing the car apart and getting stuck there for a day or more. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Something else I've found a bit confusing is every piece of documentation I've found states I should have a transponder in the car, yet I don't. Can someone confirm whether at least some 2001 Camrys were sold without transponders? I've had several keys cut, and never had any problem with them. The good news is at least I didn't have to deal with.

If anyone can give me some insight, I'd be eternally grateful. :)

TIA,

Joseph

Reply to
Ice