2001 Toyota Camry ... Coolant Nearly Empty ... Cause of Engine Stall?

Two days ago my 2001 Toyota Camry (115k miles) stalled on the road as I was starting to slow down ... I restarted fine.

I popped the hood this morning and found the Engine Coolant nearly depleted. I had bought Toyota coolant some months back. I filled it ... and will be taking the car to a dealership tomorrow.

Just curious, what the possible causes could be?

Reply to
Aldorus

Possible causes: Leaks in hoses, gaskets, Welch plugs Leaking heater core Leaking radiator Internal gasket leaks Cracked head or blown head gaskets Cracked block Bad radiator pressure release device (cap) Improper refill after radiator or block flush, leaving an air bubble in the system.

and so on.

The coolant catch vessel is a rough indicator of what might be happening inside the engine..... or not. You need to keep an eye on that vessel REGULARLY.

Reply to
hls

The expansion tank or radiator was nearly empty, You dont fill up the expansion tank completely, the word Expansion tells all, look for the Cold and Hot level markings before panicking and paying alot for something you may not need, can you open the radiator cap, it should be full, the expansion tank is at its lowest level cold, if you filled it up cold, it just overflows when hot, read the levels and your manual.

Reply to
ransley

I believe that it could ? be loose head bolts at the firewall.

This year and 2002 `s are notorious for having head bolts come loose and then loosing coolant.apparentl;y this is another famous Toyota quality control problem . either the bolts were the wrong type or the threads were the wrong size but they do work loose on some Toyotas of those years and the coolant is lost.

I was told by a mechanic that its the constant heating and cooling of the engine that does it.From cold start-up and then shutdown to cool off like in a daily driver.

I drive a 2002 -4 Camry and so far so good .

check the thread in this group or in other Toyota ng`s. Ed

Reply to
mred