2001 Toyota Camry LE steering wheel whining....

Hi I've got a 2001 Toyota Camry LE and it rides great for the most part. The one problem I have is there appears to be a whining sound coming from the steering wheel or column. It consistenty happens when I turn and drives me crazy. I don't notice it so much if I make a 45 degree turn as much as 90 degree turns. I would not consider it a squeaking sound. Any ideas guys???

Thanks!!!

Reply to
loser_ast

A little bit of an update I guess. I can hear it from the column under the hood as it heads down towards the tires I really can't tell for sure where it is loudest. It is tough to pinpoint.

Reply to
loser_ast

An obvious questin, but have you checked the PS fluid?

Reply to
timbirr

yes it seems as if all Camrys/ like cars make that squeek. Funny noise really lol. A little grease on the coloumn under the boot before it goes into the firewall. This is an example of one thing that is a common problem. Normally with Toyota service there aren't common problems and the techs have to dig much deeper to find the root of the problem

Reply to
Bartramo25

Ok guys well I'm having my mechanic check it out today I HOPE and PRAY that it is just that spot needing greased near the firewall that you guys are talking about. I'm no car person that's for sure but I checked the power steering fluid and it seemed fine. I will let you guys know the outcome.

Reply to
loser_ast

get some white grease or marine grease

that will solve ur problem fast.

--------------------------------------- Golf Deals, Golf Product reviews and more

skewe

Well the mechanic I took it to today said it was the rack and pinsor and said he could fix it for like 900$. I decided to get a 2nd opinion and took it to another mechanic now that one of my friends recommended. This new mechanic doesn't think it is the rack and pinsor just yet but won't have more time to look at it until tomorrow. I will keep u guys informed.

Reply to
loser_ast

Between where the steering column exits the firewall and meets the rack, there is a universal joint - most cars have the same and they dry out and need a little oil or spray lubricant. It will be that, the belt slipping or the pump (in that order). It's least likely to be the rack specially at 5 years old. You're car person enough to smell a creative mechanic!

Reply to
jg

I actually printed this page out and gave it to the 2nd mechanic. I'm not sure if he needed it or not but it ended up being that joint near the firewall that needed lubrication. I just wanna thank everyone who responded to this post!!!!!

Reply to
loser_ast