2002 Camry - Belt or Chain?

I bought a used 2002 Camry that was build in Japan. It just hit

100,000K. Does anybody know if it has a timing belt, or a timing chain?

Thanks

Reply to
greekfanta

You could check the AutoZone web site and see if they list a belt for your car. If they don't, you will know the answer. B95

Reply to
bear95 via CarKB.com

chain

Reply to
Bob H

It has a chain forget the prehistoric belt

Reply to
mred

You did not say whether this car has a 4 or 6 cylinder engine. The 4 cylinder uses a chain; the 6 cylinder has a belt.

Reply to
Bob

I don't know if this'll be accurate for your Camry, as this info is for the US and I see that you have a .ca address...

(Go to Toyota's FAQ site,
, and search for"timing" and go to the "Timing Belt and Timing Chain" article.) The 4 cylinder 2002 Camry uses a timing chain. There is no prescribed interval for the timing chain.

The V6 2002 Camry uses a timing belt. It should be replaced at every

90,000 miles or 6 years, whichever occurs first.

I would think that the type of engine would be listed on the engine block itself under the hood/bonnet.

Reply to
mrv