2002 Camry Struts

I am looking for new struts for my '02 Camry LE. Any opinions on what to buy, brand wise and gas or oil? Has to weather the cold Canadian climates. Thanks

P.

Reply to
Murcatroid

You can always use Toyota OEM like some people would suggest. These are likely made by KYB, which the tuner circle calls "Keep Your Bilsteins" for a good reason. IMO KYBs are junk. They tend to be harsh, making you feel the paint stripes on the pavement. A real strut should mop up the road irregularities while providing good support while maneuvering. Of course we're not getting into performance struts like the Bilstein HD/Sport. These are too firm for my taste.

I prefer the Gabriel Ultra available at Autozone for it's multi-stage inertia sensitive valving. Excellent struts for daily use. Some others may prefer the Monroe Reflex (not the older Sensatracs), which are usually firm and then softens in milliseconds (or something like that) hitting a bump. You always want to stay away from the cheap store brands or low ends of any brand.

Check out the G-Force video on Ultra's inertia sensitive valving:

johngdole

I bought 4 Monroe Quick Struts for my mother's 1999 v-6 Camry. They work and ride very well. Ground clearance was improve as were the handling abilities of the car. Very pleased with the results. The ease of installation is worth the extra money. With the Quick Strut, you do not need to mess with the springs. Even with the proper spring compressor, a spring can be dangerous. The Quick Strut is complete with all the small parts which most likely should be replaced during a strut change. The only thing I would caution about with the Quick strut is the torque specs provided in the instructions may be in error. Double check with the shop manual. I was able to change all four struts in less than two hours and this was taking my time. After you change the struts, drive the vehicle to an alignment shop.

Reply to
Clay

Glad to hear the Monroe Quick Struts worked out for you. That's what I was going to get except I didn't want the older SensaTracs in there. But many said the SensaTracs were fine. I would get the Quick Struts if they were the new Monroe Reflex. So in the end I went with the Gabriel Ultras.

Reply to
johngdole