2002 LE V6-Right Rear Strut Part Shortage on West Coast?

All-

About 11 days ago, I discovered that I needed to replace my rear right strut when replacing the original tires at 46000 miles.

The tire place relayed to us that this strut was totally shot and leaking fluid. Now we know why we heard loud thumping noise for the past couple months. Thought it was road noise, bad roads and fading tires.

Called local dealer, ordered the strut, not cheap at about $200.

Received call from parts guy yesterday, he can't find a right rear strut anywhere on the west coast. Toyota's computer data confirmed part availability on 2/27.

Anyone aware of a recall happening or some sort of program going on to cause this shortage? Or is bad timing?

TIA,

Rick

Reply to
RickK

right strut

leaking

couple

strut

to cause

Just as importantly, struts should be replaced in pairs on the same axle. Also, decent struts don't cost $200 each, plus labor. You're getting ripped. But if this is warranty ....

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

I agree with Philip, struts should be replaced at the same time. You have too much wear on the other one to let it slide. If you don't replace it, there's a high chance your car may drift or pull to one side. No alignment will fix it until you replace the other one. I'm faced with the same thing on my minivan. I did one side, now it pulls, gotta go back and replace the "good" strut.

Reply to
Rex