2002 Toyota Camry LE V6 TSB Info Needed

AC001-03 APR 03 A/C - Blower Volume Gradually Diminishes

Thanks

Reply to
Car Guy

Toyota Supports ASE Certification Page 1 of 3

AC001-03

Title:

A/C PERFORMANCE & DURABILITY

IMPROVEMENT

Models:

'02 - '03 Camry

Technical Service

BULLETIN

April 15, 2003

TSB UPDATE NOTICE:

This TSB updates EL004-03. TSB EL004-03 is now obsolete and should be discarded.

Some 2002 - 2003 model year Camry owners may experience a condition where the

blower volume gradually decreases after about 1-1/2 hours of driving. It has been

determined that, in hot high humidity conditions, the A/C system evaporator is freezing

over, blocking the airflow path. There may be some instances where this condition may

affect the A/C compressor and clutch assembly. An in-line thermistor resistor harness is

now available to correct this concern.

Reply to
Jack

Thanks for the info. This problem has happened to my vehicle a few times now. I will make an appointment with my local Toyota Service Dept. to have this repair performed.

Reply to
Car Guy

Sounds like all they're doing is adding another temperature sensor on the evaporator core (or using a resistor to adjust the range on the one that's there) to sense the evaporator core icing and shut off the AC compressor for a few minutes.

You can do this yourself - if you think the system is icing up because the airflow goes away, just turn the controls to full-on "Heat", fan to low, and open the windows so you don't roast. Wait 5 to 10 minutes, and the radiant heat from the heater core (right next to the AC evaporator) should melt that ice block away.

And then you know when it's really humid NOT to leave the controls at full "Cold" setting, so it'll cycle and defrost on it's own semi-automatically.

Building AC systems ice up the same way, someone sets the thermostat at "Meat Locker Cold" so it never shuts off and never gets to defrost. But office buildings don't get parked when you arrive (and the system shut off for the night), so you can burn up fan motors (no airflow, motor current spikes and no cooling airflow) and compressors when the system pressures go nuts.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Car Guy,

Look into TSB EL004-03 this cover the same symptoms but it include = checking and replacing the compressor clutch too in addition to = installing inline thermistor in the blower cooling circuit.

Jack.

Reply to
Jack

Jack,

I do not see this TSB for the Toyota Camry vehicles. I see the following though for Lexus:

EL004-03 MAY 03 Instruments - Mirror Compass Recalibration Process

Could you please confirm and reply to snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com or on here so that I can take the proper TSB to the dealer.

Look into TSB EL004-03 this cover the same symptoms but it include checking and replacing the compressor clutch too in addition to installing inline thermistor in the blower cooling circuit.

Jack.

Reply to
Car Guy

This TSB already mentions to examine the compressor for a rattle, and if so, replace the clutch.

Look into TSB EL004-03 this cover the same symptoms but it include checking and replacing the compressor clutch too in addition to installing inline thermistor in the blower cooling circuit.

Jack.

Reply to
Car Guy

Car Guy,

I emailed you a copy of TSB EL004-03 it may be the same as the one you = are looking at.

message

thermostat

Reply to
Jack

I emailed you a copy of TSB EL004-03 it may be the same as the one you are looking at.

Jack.

Reply to
Car Guy

Let us know how it goes.