2002 Toyota Camry V6-XLE

When I first start the car in the morning I hear a high pitch squeal from under the hood. I have taken it to the dealer but by the time I get there the squeal is gone. The dealer has checked under the hood but found nothing. Any thoughts as to what would cause a squeal only when the engine is cold?

--
No SPAM
Reply to

Switch to Mobil 1 5W30 and see if it goes away. I used to get that on my

2002 LE V6, and Mobil 1 fixed that.

Bill C wrote:

Reply to
Car Guy

Leave it overnight it could be alot of things on the belts, alternator, air compressor etc

Reply to
m Ransley

My Camry did that too, it seemed to come from the alternator pulley, probably a worn bearing. Mine also went away after it got warm. It's one of those things that doesn't matter but if it really annoys you, it'll cost more than it's worth to fix.

engine

Reply to
Rog

I believe it is one or more of your drive belts squealing, most likely the power steering belt.

Check the condition and tension adjustment of all these belts, and if OK, lubricate the inner surface with some soap, dri-lube (which is a wax), or a proprietary spray made for this purpose.

Geoff

--
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to

Try checking power steering belt for looseness.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

My 2002 LE does that on cool mornings, when the humidity is just right. The dealer replaced my serpentine belt at around 22k miles. I now have 55k miles, and the squeal is back, but only on some mornings. The dealer told me that it cannot be tightened, as there is a self-adjusting mechanism which maintains the proper tension.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B