2002 Toyota Camry XLE V6 70K Miles

I brought my car today to my local Toyota dealer for service after observing the "Check Engine" light illuminating a couple of days ago. The technician diagnosed the problem and replaced an Air Fuel sensor. I think this is also called an Oxygen sensor. This turned off the light, but I was advised that I should have the Cam Seals replaced soon as Oil was found to be seeping through. In addition, he suggested that the Timing belt also be replaced as it is located in the same area and it would save on labor since the same components would have to be disassembled.

Are Cam Seals a common part failure? I've had the oil changed regularly (3 months/3000 miles) and the car has not been driven hard.

Thank you for any advice/comments.

Reply to
Bob

I don't know about the seals but my neighbor changes his timing belt every

Reply to
BigJim

Yes, the Toyota (1992 Corolla) I had previously had its Timing Belt changed at 60K intervals and it had over 200K when I sold it. It is still on the road today. The 2002 Camry Owner's Manual recommends a 90K interval, but I suspect I will do that sooner if the Cam Seal replacement is inevitable.

Reply to
Robert Wiggins

Similar thing happened to me. I bought a 2nd-hand Camry '96 with 155,000 km on it. I put it in to Toyota for a belt change as I had no idea how long it had been in service. When they pulled the belt-cover, all the seals were shot and oozing oil, plus the belt tensioner and jockey pulley bearings were sandy (noisy). It costs a bit, but after that you dont have to worry about oil-leaks damaging the new belt.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Since the 2002 Camry has a timing chain and not a belt, I would suspect anything that mechanic said. You say he was the dealer?? I recently replace one of those air/fuel ratio sensors. More Denzo crap. Sure, the seals could be leaking so could the valve cover gasket, crank seals,and oil pump O rings. 70,000 is low mileage for all that to happen.

Reply to
lobo

I believe the 2002 V6 engine has a belt, but the 4 have a chain. I was not surprised when I was told that it was the air/fuel sensor (I think this engine has 2 of them). I experienced the same issue with the 92 Corolla I had previously; at about 60K I noticed the engine began to hesitate slightly from a complete stop. After a while, the Check Engine light came on. The Oxygen Sensor was replaced, the light went out and the hesitation went away for another 60K, then the cycle would repeat.

Back to the 02 Camry, I know I had requested the dealer to use Synthetic Oil for each oil change. This is one the Sludge Issue cars so I have been using Synthetic Oil in it from the very first change. I am now wondering if the Synthetic Oil slips through the Cam Seals more easily and this is why I have the issue now.

Reply to
Bob

There was a problem in the distant past with synthetic oil eating seals, but that was resolved decades ago. It's a good idea to change oil and cam seals when you do the timing belt; they harden over time from the heat and start to leak.

Reply to
Nobody Important

I will keep an eye on things, and plan to consolidate the replacement of these seals when I have the Timing belt replaced.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Reply to
Bob