2003 Camry base -- need upgrade advice

Looking to improve the SQ on a base 2003 Camry. Questions for those familiar with the internals:

  1. Does the HU connect to a separate factory amp?
  2. How are the 3.5" dash mounted speakers hooked up with the thin 6X9s in the front doors? Is there a crossover? Paralleled? Or do they run off of their own channels in a separate amp?
  3. Which would be most cost-effective, yet best SQ upgrade: a. Replace the HU b. Replace the speakers c. Add an amp (or replace the possible factory amp) I suspect the head unit is of decent quality, but underpowered. The ergonomics of the HU are excellent, however.
  4. Anyone familiar with replacing the front door speakers? Components or low-profile 6x9?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ron

Reply to
Ron

Hey, Ron, I don't have answers to your questions, but as a rule, I just yank whatever's there and replace it all. Most factory amps are 20 Watts, some are 40. It is probably mounted in the trunk, behind the carpet looking stuff, if so equipped.

If you're not on a budget, I would just buy the peices I like and install them (or have them installed if you're mechanically declined ;) That way you can get the sound you're looking for.

I have a Chrysler LHS as well as my 'stable' of Toyotas, and I asked the same question in the Dodge group, never got an answer. So I just hooked one up, and it sounds great. I have the Infinity system, which sounds good anyway, but I wanted to play MP3s. Now, I think I'll replace the speakers with MB Quarts....

Reply to
hachiroku