2003 Camry - Timing belt or chain?

Does the new 2003 Camry have a timing belt or chain? Does it make a difference?

TIA

Reply to
Jimbo

Jack
4 cyl engines use a chain, and I believe the 3.0 V6 still uses belts. The 3.3 litre V6 should be chain.
Reply to
Car Guy

Nope, the 3.3L (3MZ-FE) is still a belt. This new engine, along with the 4.7 Tundra engine are both valve crunchers. Break a timing belt, and you have an expensive mess.

Reply to
Platil

The important question is:

Are Toyota engines that use a chain interference or non-interference engines?

We know that the engines that use a belt are non-interference and no damage will be done to the engine if it breaks.

Reply to
Mark A

Platil,

So the new 3.3L engines are Interference design? Interesting. I am glad I have the 3.0 Non-Interference design 1MZ-FE.

Why would Toyota adopt a Interference Model? Are there some benefits to an interference model then a non interference model?

Reply to
Car Guy