2003 Camry Tires

I have a 2003 Camry LE. It came equipped with Bridgestone Tires. I have put approx. 38,000 miles on the car since it was brand new and these tires are a piece of crap. I do not put hard wear on the car at all. It is all highway driving. Since I didn't like the traction the Bridgestone tires gave me, I took the car to Sears last week and bought 4 new Michelin tires. I asked that I keep the Bridgestone tires as my niece was wanting to use them. Both Sears and the Toyota Dealership said these tires had over 50% of use left in them. Since my niece's tires were bald, I thought she could get some use out of these temporarily. When her mechanic went to put the Bridgestone tires on her car -- he told her those tires were completely worn and the chords broken inside of them. I'm not quite sure what that means (chords). Why would Sears and Toyota tell me those tires had over 50% use left in them, then someone else say those tires were useless, especially at under 38,000 miles? I'm wondering if Sears possibly kept my better tires and sent some old ones home with me that weren't any good. Does anyone here think they would do that? I'm livid about the whole thing. If these are the original tires, then is Bridgestone responsible for making them good? Would they since the tires are now OFF the car and not replaced by Toyota?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Reply to
Sparki

tires.

of

get

worn

at

here

All tires have a serial number so its possible your new-car paper work either at the dealer where you bought it or at home, has these numbers.

If the cords were broken then you would in all likelyhood have noticed problems with the ride and steering. Tyres that start to fall apart (eg delamination of steel belts) have always IME given some symptoms to the driver such as outof balance wobbles and/or pulling to one side.

Jason

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

The OE Bridgestones put on the majority of the 03 Camrys are very poor tires. Consider yourself lucky to have gotten 38,000 out of them. Look at the reviews on that particular Bridgestone on Tirerack.com and you'll see that most people were throwing them out at 20,000 -25,000K. Mine are at 26,000 and ARE wornout. -- actually a bit past wornout, I'm getting new ones on Wednesday. :)

Yours are now worn out. Buy some new tires. You're not going to get anywhere with Toyota. The warranty specifically says you have to deal with Bridgestone and Bridgestone will say they are worn out. I don't quite remember the treadwear rating number on it, but I THINK it was something like 170.

Most passenger car touring tires nowadays START at 350 treadwear and go up, so you can see the tires were meant to get you out of the dealership and on the road for about a year or so and that's it.

So, quit worrying about it. BTW, I don't know about your Toy dealer, but trusting Sears' opinion on tires....well, let me just say that I went into Sears several years ago to have two tires replaced. The service writer went out to look and then came back and insisted that I actually needed FOUR tires replaced....that all of them were badly worn.

Funny, two of the tires had about 1,800 miles on them. I had bought them about three months before at the same Sears store. So, I told her if they were that bad, I guessed I'd be getting them for FREE.....she made some excuse and that's the last I heard of that.

Reply to
timbirr

Just get a set of Michelin Harmony or Hydroedge and you will be fine.

Reply to
Car Guy

You got your money's worth on those tires. Believe me they were worn out. Anyone told you otherwise was mistaken.

Reply to
Art

I have had good luck with TOYO tires but have gone to COOPER tires because they have better road hazzard and are less expensive. Michelin do not hold up very well for me. No road hazzard and the sidewalls are the weak point of Michelin. On the other hand, I know piople who have excellent results with Michelin. I drive a lot of highway miles and about 15 miles of gravel roads every day. There are several grades of tires within the same companies. I buy the upper line of COOPER tires and have nothing but praise for these tires. They have a great national dealer network and have always been treated fairly.

Reply to
Clay