2004 Camry air filter replacement

I have owned Accord, Maxima, Infinity & Mazda and they all have easy to remove spring clipped air filter casing. This is the first time I owned a Camry and I am surprised that the air filter casing (at least what I think it is) seems to be fixed by bolts. Also, the air filter is not mentioned in the owner's manual as a user replaceable part. Am I looking at the wrong place? Is this a Toyota 'feature'? If the casing is fixed by bolts, is it safe to loosen them? Can someone advise the right way to replace the air filter? I cannot believe this simple thing has to be replaced by the dealer.

Reply to
pt001

In news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com, pt001 being of bellicose mind posted:

Funny... the cabin air filter is mentioned (as is the simple replacement procedure) in the Owners Manual. Two clips, behind the glove box. Review you OM more carefully and ... take a flashlight. ;-)

Reply to
Philip®

He's referring to the engine air filter --- under the hood.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Well.... (hmmm) ... well, WHEN he gets around to doing the cabin filter, I won't have to tell him again. ;-)

Reply to
Philip®

Any ideas please?

Reply to
pt001

In news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com, pt001 being of bellicose mind posted:

Ok... my idea is it may make a knowledgeable mind operating through human hands (possibly with a tool or two) to free the air filter element from its enclosure!

Reply to
Philip®

spring clipped air filter casing. This is the first time I owned a Camry and I am surprised that the air filter casing (at least what I think it is) seems to be fixed by bolts. Also, the air filter is not mentioned in the owner's manual as a user replaceable part. Am I looking at the wrong place? Is this a Toyota 'feature'? If the casing is fixed by bolts, is it safe to loosen them? Can someone advise the right way to replace the air filter? I cannot believe this simple thing has to be replaced by the dealer.

I'd like to know too.

I looked at it under the hood and I didn't see any clips (spring clips, I guess) as in my previous Corolla.

But I didn't give it any further thought thinking that I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Reply to
noyb

isn't there one person out there who can answer this simple question?

i asked my service consultant when my wife's car was in for an oil change and he said he would install (and SHOW me on my 2002 camry SE v6) it for free-if i got it from them

this IS a silly thing (air filter replacement) to make" dealer done" good luck

Reply to
Herbnn

In case someone is interested I'll answer my own question. First I made a mistake - it should be 2003 Camry, not 2004.

Replacement is quite simple, just loosen the two bolts with a 10mm socket, lift up the casing and free it from the hinges the other end, then you have just enough space to remove the old filter and insert the new one. Put the casing back in reverse order.

Reply to
pt001

Thanks for info

mistake - it should be 2003 Camry, not 2004.

up the casing and free it from the hinges the other end, then you have just enough space to remove the old filter and insert the new one. Put the casing back in reverse order.

Reply to
idunno