2004 camry standard

My 2004 Camry Standard came with power locks but no remote locking. Toyota say the parts are $137 and the fitting about $300. The fitting costs seem very high. All four doors are locked simultaneously by the switch on the drivers door and so it would seem to be simple to install the ECU in the same circuit. Since all other Camry versions come with remote locking, presumably the cable loom is already there.

Can anyone advise?

Reply to
francis styles

The parts prices seem inline but $300 for labor is exorbitant. Are you somewhat mechanically inclined? If so, you can install it yourself.

My brother and I installed the alarm system in his wife's 2004 RAV4. The dealer wanted $180. In 3 hours, we installed everything ourselves. It took us both this long because we were very careful not to scratch or break anything; something the dealer mechanics won't do.

If they have to do it for you, negotiate on the labor price. Call other dealers if you have to. I would highly suggest you stick to the factory Toyota system as opposed to aftermarket ones.

Reply to
Viperkiller

Is the remote (un)locking system still available for a 1995 Camry LE ? I don't need the alarm stuff, just the functionality which locks/unlocks the doors and blinks the lights, etc. from the little remote keychain unit.

Any experiences with it, good or bad ? Would like to self-install it.

I know the car is 9 years old, but only 88,000 miles and still runs/looks great. Plan to keep it as long as possible but my wife would like the remote unlock for when she gets out of work in the evening and walks out alone to the car in parking lot (reasonable request).

Reply to
NoSpamForMe

I bought my '95 Camry at the end of '96. The dealer sold me a LoJack add-on fir about $450. In fact, all I really wanted was the remote unlock feature. I got tired of the siren going off and installed a minature toggle switch in the brown lead that totally disables the siren. The light-blink feature was not installed.

The "Valet Mode" switch is a bit of an annoyance. Frequently, the cuff on my pants pulls the switch into non-valet mode. This means the ignition gets locked out but I'm not aware that anything has gone wrong because the siren is disabled. I took the car back to Toyota because it wouldn't start and they sold me a new $450 alternator. Of course this didn't fix the problem.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

William W. Plummer wrote: || NoSpamForMe wrote: ||| Is the remote (un)locking system still available for a 1995 Camry ||| LE ? I don't need the alarm stuff, just the functionality which ||| locks/unlocks the doors and blinks the lights, etc. from the little ||| remote keychain unit. ||| ||| Any experiences with it, good or bad ? Would like to self-install ||| it. ||| ||| I know the car is 9 years old, but only 88,000 miles and still ||| runs/looks great. Plan to keep it as long as possible but my wife ||| would like the remote unlock for when she gets out of work in the ||| evening and walks out alone to the car in parking lot (reasonable ||| request). ||| ||| || I bought my '95 Camry at the end of '96. The dealer sold me a LoJack || add-on fir about $450. In fact, all I really wanted was the remote || unlock feature. I got tired of the siren going off and installed a || minature toggle switch in the brown lead that totally disables the || siren. The light-blink feature was not installed. || || The "Valet Mode" switch is a bit of an annoyance. Frequently, the || cuff on my pants pulls the switch into non-valet mode. This means || the ignition gets locked out but I'm not aware that anything has || gone wrong because the siren is disabled. I took the car back to || Toyota because it wouldn't start and they sold me a new $450 || alternator. Of course this didn't fix the problem.

I'm sure that they twisted your arm into buying that new alternator!!

Reply to
aqua

Unfortuantely, the dealers usually only carries the accessories for 5 years. Unless a dealer has an old stock handy, your only choice is aftermarket. I don't like aftermarket myself. If you really want to do it for your wife, look for ones that seem to be heavy duty, especially the remotes. They're fairly simple so the good ones should be fairly reliable enough for how much longer you'll keep the car.

Reply to
Viperkiller

Poor diagnosis on the dealer's part though, wouldn't you say?

Reply to
Viperkiller