2004 Solara convertible questions

Hi all, I just purchased an almost new (3,500 miles) pearl white Solara SLE convertible. I test drove several other brands, traded in a 96 Sebring conv. at 135,000 miles, and this car had the least number of annoying design features of all of them. One is the use of those head rests in the back seat. Nice size rear window, like my 96, but only about 1 sq ft is visible. No one ever sits back there, can they be removed temporarily, store them on the floor and reinstall when someone gets back there? The other thing is the total lack of a door bumper strip. The sides of the car are completely nude, waiting for someone to drive the edge of their door into it at the shopping center first chance they get. I was thinking of having one put on at a body shop. Any thoughts on this? Thanks. Rick

Reply to
Rick

I've used Dent Wizard for dings when paint isn't damaged. They guarantee perfection or you don't pay. So I don't worry about dings any more. Most of the time paint is not damaged.

Reply to
Art

If the headrests are held by metal posts and can be raised up and down, they can be removed.

As for the door guards, it's a concern for me too on my cars. If you decide to have one put on, keep in mind of the aesthetics. I don't know what color your car is, but an all black guard may be the least obtrusive looking.

Reply to
Viperkiller

If the headrests are held by metal posts and can be raised up and down, they can be removed.

As for the door guards, it's a concern for me too on my cars. If you decide to have one put on, keep in mind of the aesthetics. I don't know what color your car is, but an all black guard may be the least obtrusive looking.

-----------------------------------

The car is a pearly mettalic white. I am looking for a competent body shop for help in choosing the right one. The rear seat headrests, at first glance, do not go up or down, and appear firmly attached. Other unusual un-features include no trunk keyhole (gotta carry the fat fob around) and no equalizer or fader controls on the "better" radio. It seems to have every other control imaginable but those. We tried out the back seat clearance yesterday and the bottom cushions felt like sitting on slabs of marble. Not many people will sit back there, but what were they thinking?? Rick

Reply to
Rick

A pretty Car If I do say............... I am a bit put off by many manufacturers doing away with key entry to all openings...................I see lots of cars with only a drivers side key locked door. What a starnge thing to cut corners on. The JBL system is pretty much set for best audio "quality" on the new Camry. I kinda like to be able to adjust a fader also, as I am 6' and have to move the seat farther back than lots of folks,...........many times all the way back. In my camry it's at the rear stop. I regretfully offer this up as a lame explanation for the hard back seats.................they built this car for one or two people, with a pair of ( and I use the term *pair of* loosely ) seats available in case of *need* , not enjoyment. What were they thinking?????............I suspect they were thinking,........"Hell, Who cares what it feels like? Those retards'll buy 'em anyway." I am not calling you a "Tard" just giving my impression of their thoughts............kind of as a joke more than anything, as I believe they probably did an awful lot of what they call *market research*, before they actually went to production.

P.S. I might be looking for a solid paintable side mould , or a really wide *chrome* one to help with the door ding issue.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

I work the uh...."people" that brought you the solara. When We first saw the thing, We were wondering why they didnt chrome plate the roll bar? However just "fyi", the rool bars are part of the structural support. The bars are welded to the flat piece that goes the width of the upper back that attached to the wheel houses on each side. You would ahve to cut them out and hope you never roll the car. As an eployee, sometimes we wonder what they are thinking as well. Any other question?

Reply to
tmmk-secondshift

I work the uh...."people" that brought you the solara. When We first saw the thing, We were wondering why they didnt chrome plate the roll bar? However just "fyi", the rool bars are part of the structural support. The bars are welded to the flat piece that goes the width of the upper back that attached to the wheel houses on each side. You would ahve to cut them out and hope you never roll the car. As an eployee, sometimes we wonder what they are thinking as well. Any other question?

Reply to
tmmk-secondshift

I'm guessing you mean that the rear headrests are part of the roll bar structure? They sure feel that way. I tried lifting or moving them, and they are really solidly in place. There is no overhead roll bar (as I know them) to be seen on this convertible. Dont get me wrong, I love the car, but a trunk keyhole, side bumper strips, more comfortable seats, and a visible rear window are no-brainers, in my opinion. Seems style won out over function here. Rick

Reply to
Rick

wait till you see what they did with the new Avalon. uhhhh?

Reply to
tmmk-secondshift

I have been looking at photos I have captured on the alt.binaries.pictures.autos group, (take a look , they have several angles and interior) and am not sure what to think of the Avalon for '05 yet. I like the rearend.........The front is looking a lot like a Camry crossed with an Acura product, .........say the TL or something. Not all that bad outside. Inside however I am not amused with wood products lately , and this car is no exception. I doubt it'll be easy to get one without the wood treatments, but I will look into that. I am certainly interested in the Avalon as a next car............not set on it, but it is a very luxurious possibility. So far the Lexus ES300 is more likely, unless they munge it up really bad next year.