2007 Camry

Should I buy the 6 cyl Camry vs the 4 cyl? How does the 4 cyl do in mountains and high altitudes?

Reply to
annda

Uh,,, try one, only you can decide how much power you need.

Reply to
m Ransley

My own personal opinion is that the four cylinder is easier to service and for that reason alone that would be my choice. If you ever change your own spark plugs, for example, you'll be glad. I suppose if you go to the dealer for all service, that wouldn't make much difference. The six will always have more power because the engine displacement is larger. The four is quite efficient these days with variable valve timing. Just drive both and decide for yourself. Most people find the four adequate. You left out the hybrid right? For 2007 my understanding is that you could choose 6 cyl., 4 cyl. or hybrid.

Reply to
Daniel

Today's 4 cyl engines are becoming very powerful and have come within

30-40 horsepower of the V6 engine. They are also easier and cheaper to service. The main problem right now is the new transmission Toyota introduced for the 2007 may skip gears because they reduced 20% of the parts probably. They claim it's only a small number, but you never know.

I would personally wait a little longer on a new model for the problems to work out.

Toyota Motor Co. has found what it calls a minor problem with the transmissions in early models of the 2007 Camry.

In a small number of vehicles, the transmissions could skip gears. Toyota anticipates the problem could affect 160 of the 32,000 Camrys sold in March and April, Toyota spokeswoman Allison Takahasi said.

Toyota engineers have pinpointed the problem so it doesn't affect future Camrys, she said. "They're aware of this and fixed it on the transmissions being produced now," Takahasi said.

So far, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has received one complaint about the issue. The federal agency has not started an investigation or asked for a recall.

The Camry, made in Georgetown, Ky., is the best-selling car in the United States. The vehicle was redesigned for the 2007 model year.

Camry buyers who think their vehicle might be affected should contact their dealer or call Toyota customer service at 800-331-4331. Copyright 2006, Detroit Free Press

annda wrote:

and high altitudes?

Reply to
johngdole

mountains and high altitudes?

Unless you like a lot of power, the Toyota 4 cylinder has more than adequate power for most applications except perhaps towing a caravan (which is insane anyway;-).

Of all the 4 cylinder engines I;ve driven, the Camry 4 is the smoothest, widest in terms of torque at low revs and good power increase if you are prepared to hold it gear and let it rev-out to 4-5000 rpm before shifting up manually. plus the 4 gets excellent economy. No contest, unless you like lots of power.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James