2007 Camry getting only 15 mpg

My 81 year old mother just loved her 2005 Camry-so she decided to buy a new one. The new car makes a rattling noise when put in reverse FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THE MORNING ONLY. Also, as mentioned, her mileage sucks. We are going to Toyota arbitration next week-any ideas? They already told us they won't negotiate specific mileage issues.

Reply to
Mark F. Arena

Take the car for awhile and drive it yourself. Test the mileage. Probably alot better than the slow speed stop and go she's doing.

Reply to
Bob H

messagenews:Lq-dnU2Cut-rWCzbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com...

Drive it yourself for a tankfull and follow her a bit to see if she keeps the brakes on

Reply to
ransley

that is poor mileage, on my 07 I am getting 24 around town and 30 on a trip.

Reply to
BigJim

What's the subject of the arbitration if not the mileage issue? The rattle (one time only) in reverse)? What do you hope to gain from the meeting?

Reply to
mack

I agree-take it for a day yourself--Fill it up and you can see the mileage--use the speedometer to test the miles--I get about `185 on 1/2 tank fillup.

1998 camry-I don't know how big the tank is-but I always get about that mileage >
Reply to
M.Balarama

Is she backing out of a garage? The garage reflects noises she might not otherwise hear. Today's AT's are computer controlled and she may just be hearing selenoid sounds which she cannot hear outside a garage.

Reply to
Art

You are not the only one complaining about poor mileage in 2007 Camrys. Just Google. Probably a combination of faults in electronic throttle, oxygen sensor and transmission that skips gears, some of the common complaints.

Mileage is affected by a lot of things, but unless she drives all local you should get way better than that. As far as other ideas, maybe try a Saturn Aura (20 City/30 Highway on 219HP V6) or Honda Accord (24/34 on 160HP I4)?

johngdole

Get 28 to 34 mpg with my 2002 camry LE, 2.4l on the highway...

28 mpg going at 70 mph against the wind... 34 going at 65 mph with the wind.. On secondary highways , speed limit 55, I usually do around 60 mph... and have seen it do around 35 mpg then. seems to be quite a noticeable change from just doing 67 verses say another 5 mph at 72 mph... at least a 2 mpg difference...
Reply to
mtroth

Maybe this TSB will help the 2007. The 2007 has the untested U-series transmission.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- From: EdV Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 09:05:28 -0700 Local: Tues, Aug 14 2007 9:05 am Subject: New TSB on 8/2/07 for all Camry I4's (auto and manual)

FYI.. taken from another group.

New TSB on 8/2/07 for all Camry I4's (auto and manual)

TSB EG036-07 replaces old EG056-06 which is now obsolete.

Recalibrates ECM (PCM) Engine and Transmission.

johngdole