2007 Camry Hybrid - gasoline engine configuration; battery warranty

Hi Folks,

1) I see seemingly conflicting (or at least confusing) info regarding the gasoline negine of the Camry Hybrid.

"a 147 Horsepower Atkinson-cycle 4-cylinder Engine"

I thought an Atkinson cycle engine was a form of rotary engine. The above implies pistons ... as do the graphics in the safety manual online on the Toyota pages (sorry, can't link directly to it).

2) The Honda Accord V6 Hybrid comes with an 8 year warranty for the hybrid battery.

I can't find a similar warranty for the Camry. Is there one?

Anyone? Thanks, Alan

PS: FWIW I'm considering the Camry Hybrid as the Honda Accord V-6 is a disaster IMO. I test drove the Honda, it's quite a blast, but that's not the point. The point is to reduce emissions and fuel consumption, something the Honda fails at overall.

Reply to
Alan Browne

The Camry Hybrid gasoline engine is definitely a piston engine. It is very similar to the regular 4-cyl Camry engine.

I could not find a warranty statement for the Camry Hybrid battery, but here is one for the 2006 Prius (which I assume has the same battery warranty as the Camry):

Hybrid-Related Component Coverage: Prius' hybrid-related components, including the HV battery, battery control module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter, are covered for 8 years/100,000 miles. The HV battery may have longer coverage under emissions warranty. Refer to applicable Owner's Warranty Information booklet for details.

You could probably look at the owners manual of a demo or showroom car to find out for sure.

Reply to
Mark A

My wife bought an Accord Hybrid 18 months ago. In her stop and go crawl to work with almost no other driving it gets about 28 mpg year round. Unlike the Prius it is actually a car which moves when you hit the accelerator and mileage doesn't decrease in winter months or when the ac is on. Her previous car was a Chrysler 300M and it got 20 mpg on the same commute so the Accord does much better. I've read mixed reviews on the Camry hybrid.

Reply to
Art

The Camry is really a modified Atkinson cycle engine. The classic Atkinson design uses a different crank design so the power cycle is extended. The Camry design accomplishes this with different cam timing. The result is increased efficiency but less power output.

Check out

for diagram of one. More information is available at
which shows the rotary Atkinson cycle. glen

Reply to
Glen Thompson

Are you thinking about Wankel engine?

I wonder why this type of engine is not used commonly in passenger cars today...

Reply to
Pszemol

Because of generally lower fuel mileage compared to piston engines.

Reply to
Mark A

no, it's not a rotary engine, but is closer to the traditional otto- cycle gasoline engine with the change of the stroke cycles. Overall the Atkinson cycle is more efficient, but has less power output than the traditional Otto-cycle (but the power is then supplemented by the electric motors)

You can read more about it through this page for the 2001-2003 Prius:

go to the "Understanding the Prius" frame, then "The InternalCombustion Engine"

In the US, Toyota warranties the hybrid system (which includes the hybrid battery pack) for 8 years/100,000 miles. If you live in a CA emissions state (and so buy the PZEV version) the hybrid battery is further covered by the CA emissions warranty for 10 years/150,000 miles.

(the PZEV info is in the Camry generic brochure available from:

)

Yes, the Accord hybrid is more of a performance hybrid than a fuel/ emissions reducing hybrid.

For more questions, I'd suggest asking some owners over at these discussion sites:

mrv

I'm not sure why anyone would want to buy an Accord hybrid to get only

28 MPG, if fuel efficiency is a main motivation. I just bought a Prius, and my latest 20 mile commuting trip averaged nearly 54 MPG, with the heater on.

If performance is the goal, that's another story.

Today's Honda Civic has nearly the size and far more content than the Accords of ten years or more ago, and I believe they're rated at about

40 MPG highway. The next generation Accord, due out soon, looks radically changed from the current Accord, which is quite nice but conservative in styling. I've had three new Accords over the years, and they were all excellent. 20 years ago, my first Accord LX sedan had a sticker price of about 12 grand.
Reply to
BleuChien

My wife wanted a hybrid put she also wanted things like power seats. Accord was the only player. On the same work commute she used to get 20 mpg in a Chrysler 300M so 28 mpg in an Accord hybrid is a significant improvement. And with the number of giant SUV's speeding around here, anything as small or light as a Civic or even a Prius is unacceptable to us.

Reply to
Art

The 2007 Camry Hybrid comes fairly "loaded" including power seat (driver side only); moonroof; 8-speaker JBL radio/CD (6) with connection for MP3 player and can be upgraded to satellite; alloy wheels; ABS; traction control; power everything; full array of air bags - including side airbags; AC, and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember. The only three things that I did not get was the GPS/Nav system, satellite radio, and leather seats. Everything except the moonroof was standard.

~jeb

Reply to
jeb

Also reliability problems. Mazda was about the only one who figured out how to get it to work.

Reply to
Cisco Kid

We bought the Accord hybrid almost a year before the Camry hybrid came out. In addition we had a 2001 Avalon and it was a rattle box so we will not be buying Toyota for a while.

Reply to
Art

I think you misread Art's post wrt to the stop and go traffic which will kill any mpg.

Reply to
Alan Browne

Thanks. I thought it was similar to the one described in Wiki (which I had already seen which led to this question in the first place...)

Reply to
Alan Browne

Thanks to all who replied.

Alan.

Reply to
Alan Browne

Art wrote

Later he wrote

So which is it? Stop and go crawl, or SUVs speeding? ;-)

Reply to
P T

As most people stop and crawl to and from work, plenty of trucks, cars and SUV's are speeding in the opposite direction coming at you because there is very little traffic in that direction. If you lived around the Research Triangle Park area of NC you would know what I was talking about. Everyone works in the middle of the triangle but few people live there.

Reply to
Art

I've noticed that more with Toyota lately, they are being plagued with cabin rattles as they move to more push-in non-screwed parts. My 2002 ES300 was plagued with rattles. All were fixed by the dealership however, TSBs issued on most of them.

Reply to
Steve Larson