2007 Camry Transmission Problems Fixed?

Hi Everyone,

I have been complaining about the erratic behavior of my 2007 V6 Camry's automatic transmission since the second day I owned it. On three visits to two dealers I was told that they couldn't find a problem with it. I also called Toyota twice and got no answers. I finally gave up and have been living with it since late summer.

Now I read in the Boston Globe (link below) that there was a fix in September for similar behavior. Does anyone know any details about this fix? Has anyone had it done to their Camry? Any comments about the article?

I'm getting ready to go back to the dealer yet again but I'd like to have as much info as I can first. Thanks.

Excerpt by Royal Ford, Boston Globe Staff | January 8, 2007

A woman from Milburn, N.J., was fearful of her new car -- and said so on the website ConsumerAffairs.com.

"We got a new 2007 Camry in August. From day one the car does not shift properly," the woman wrote. "Sometimes when you push the accelerator it hesitates . . . then jerks. It can be dangerous if you think you have enough time to cross a street and car does not move."

The first hint of a widespread problem? Apparently.

Reply to
Laker

I found a TSB on the LE-4cyl,

and for the V6

I will go back to Toyota and ask them for the EG056-06

Reply to
EdV

Some owners posted that after valve body replacement the problem can come back. At times replacement made it worse. I say dump the U-series (U must be for "unreliable") transmissions and go back to the Aisin A series (old and plain but get you moving).

I hope nobody got hurt with this transmission, but you should probably file your experience with:

Laker wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

=============== Read about one guy with a cooperative dealer who had the problem return after valve body replacement, they offered to replace valve body when he explained had already been done so they replaced the transmission. That seemed to cure the problem for him. No further incidents with new unit. Plus a requirement was that they send the malfunctioning transmission back to Japan.

Reply to
Daniel

I used to think that the warnings about not purchasing the first year of a new model didn't apply to Toyota and Honda. Then I bought a 1997 CR-V. Now I see all these transmission issues with the new Camry.

At least Toyota appears to be willing to fix problems, Honda acknowledged the design flaw, explained why the problem was occurring, but said that they would not be doing anything to fix it (it was a cruise control problem, where there was insufficient engine vacuum to downshift when going up a hill with cruise control on).

We're about ready to replace a 1996 Camry, but now maybe I think we'll keep it for another few years.

Reply to
SMS

As this continues it's clear that the problem is NOT solved for many

07s with bad transmissions on the road as Toyota wanted people to believe.

Daniel wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

That's assuming the posted TSB are for the gear skipping problem. I am not sure if one or both versions were affected as there is little information on these. I think the reprogramming only changes the shift curve, but probably won't help the gear skips because no valve body replacement would be needed otherwise.

some cars can continue to have problems if owners didn't complaint.

EdV wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

I have been complaining to my dealer about the shifting problems (as well as low fuel economy) and had them do the TSB (4 Cylinder) on Friday. They specifically said that Toyota has seen a number of complaints about the shifting problems and that the TSB would NOT fix that problem - it would just make the normal shifting smoother.

Reply to
David In NH

Yeah, I thought so too. Looks like Toyota really is having problems with the new transmissions and can't seem to figure things out. They even ordered the bad ones shipped back to Japan for analysis. This tells they have no clue as to why the transmissions are skipping gears. That sure is a baaaad sign.

I read through those TSBs, but they are irrelevant to the 2007 U-series transmission gear skipping problems. Programming shift curves and failed clutch/brake band activations are two different things. The shift solenoids (clutch pack/brake bands) that need to be turned on or off for each gear are always fixed by the mechanical design of the transmission.

David > I have been complaining to my dealer about the shifting problems (as well as

Reply to
johngdole

January 19th 2007 Toyota released Technical Service Bulletin # TC002-07. This basically says that if the transmission rpm's increase by 1000 rpm between 3rd and 4th gears to chuck the tranny and replace it.

That's what they did with mine, and I love my car again!

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1168752481.430602.190880 @v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
G.Willakers

Yeah, that's what I thought. Only a new transmission will likely solve the problem -- that's if the new unit doesn't go bad right after warranty expires.

Toyota should recall the transmissions before somebody gets rear ended by a dump truck unable to accelerate while the tranny skips gears.

Reply to
johngdole

You sound like Charlene !

Reply to
Justa Lurker

The one who posted that sludge message a week ago? I don't think so.

People don't need to be rear ended because a tranny went neutral when it's supposed to move, do you agree?

Justa Lurker wrote:

Reply to
johngdole