4/6 cylinder struts

I have a '93 V6 XLE. Just had struts replaced. EXPRESS TIRE did the work and they replaced them with MONROE'S part #'s 71955-71958 (4 shocks). On monroes website,

it does not differentiate between the 4 or 6 cylinder. Did they not have different suspensions/struts/shocks?

Reply to
dutch555

strut are same for both engines. what was to cost to get them replaced?

Reply to
jjjsan

That's exactly why I go with original equipment replacments. They're specifically engineered for a particular vehicle. Plus you're getting a known quality. Yes. Of course you're right. Toyota specifies different struts for four and six cylinder models, and the SE has different struts than the LE (not sure about a difference for the XLE though). When I replaced the shock absorbers in my 1977 Toyota SR5 long bed pick up truck, I had to go out and count the number of leaf springs in the back to determine the correct part number. Still have the truck. Shocks still working fine. Tremendous improvement in ride quality by the way. Same thing with the Camry. I actually paid to have relatively new Monroe Sensatrac installed by the prior owner removed, and original equipment Toyota struts installed. By the way, Toyota replacement struts carry a lifetime labor and material warranty. Coincidentally, the tire shop that installed the struts, also sold her three new tires instead of four (only invoiced for three, and being a Grandmother not dialed into mechanical things, never noticed). In trying to find a matching new fourth tire, found out no one, carried them, including a Internet search. When replacing them with four new tires to have a matched set, the Tire Company said the tires were off brand, low quality, and immediately I noticed the odd noises which made me suspect suspension components, over rough pavement, were gone.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

May have somewhat missed the point of your question in my prior answer. Toyota differentiates between struts for the two different engines. It is entirely possible Monroe does not, thus the Tire shop may have installed correct part number for the Monroe product line.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

I had a bunch of work done at same time, but it was roughly $1100 (half was labor)

Reply to
dutch555

hehe your previous was interesting to read. Toyota just charged so much more so I went with other co. It is hard to justify paying $3,000.00 in parts and labor on a car thats probably only worth that much...

Monroe does not differentiate you're right. I just feel the car handles more 'boaty' like the 4 cyl does.

Reply to
dutch555