4 cylinder camry. is that motor interference or non interference ?

Threaded View

I now own a 99 cmry with v-6. my next toyota may be 4 cylinder. is that
motor interference or non interference ?

Re: 4 cylinder camry. is that motor interference or non interference ?

Look up the catalog on Gates' site:
www.gates.com/part_locator/index.cfm?go=part_locator&location_id=3598

The 99 3.0L V6 is a NON-interference engine. I'd recommend a Gates
timing kit when you need to do the timing job. The kit's got two
pulleys, the belt, and an instruction sheet.

The 2.4L uses a thin single-chain, so it really doesn't matter unless
you want to change the chain. Don't know about this engine, but given
that it generates only about 60 hp per liter it's probably not an
interference engine.

Re: 4 cylinder camry. is that motor interference or non interference ?

Checked the Gates site again. Only the PDF catalog file lists
interference or non-interference for various makes and models. The
electronic one doesn't.

Re: 4 cylinder camry. is that motor interference or non interference ?

Thanks for the reply.

I went to gates website and registered.  went to pdf catalogs.  checked
for 2007. nothing.  checked 2004 2.4 4 cylinder.  no information about
interference or non interference.  suggestions?

Re: 4 cylinder camry. is that motor interference or non interference ?

The 2.4L uses a timing chain so it won't show up in a timing belt
catalog. Only engines that use belts will and the catalog will tell you
if it's interference engine or not, like your 99 V6 non-interference
engine.

The 2AZ-FE engine produces only about 60 hp per liter, so I'll be
surprised if it's an interference engine.  Interference engines usually
aren't wimpy. But you'll have to ask Toyota for sure.

Site Timeline