4 Cylinder versus v6 2005, 2006, 2007

I am thinking of trading my car in for a Camry as I will need a four door soon enough. Should I even bother considering the 4 cylinder? Does it have any power at all?

I am not sure if I will be buying a new one or a slightly used one. Any differences between the years?

I've owned an original Rav4 and a Highlander in the past. I love my Mustang but alas it must be traded for a family car.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Reply to
wadner

if you have to ask that question, then the answer for you is probably not

but if you lived with a rav and highlander, it won't be any worse then those

Reply to
bungalow_steve

answer for you is probably

Reply to
EdV

It depends on your use If you are going to have it loaded all the time, do a lot of mountain driving I would go with the 6 cyl. For general use the

4 cyl is fine will run for long,long time with reg maintance. Will happly do 80 mph all day if that is what you desire. 2002 they did away with the timing belt on the 4 cyl- went to a chain. 6 cyl still has belt
Reply to
sqdancerLynn

Power to weight is the indicator- 1.3T with 130hp,..not that bad, but if you're pulling into a fast lane from behind a semi doing 40mph up a hill, you're going to have to rap her out a bit,..they dont mind,..good engines the 2.2L

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

"wadner" didst type:

We have a 2005 4 cylinder. The combination of VVT (Variable Valve Timing) and the 5-speed close ration tranny gives it rather impressive performance for a 4-banger. With the cruise-control dialed in @ 80 mph, we get 34-36 mpg and it gets 22-24 mpg city if you drive it easy. Gotta love that gas mileage and we don't miss the 6 at all ... and those fours will run forever.

Blah

Reply to
blah

I have a 2002 4 cyl, lots of power, same engine with a few refinements in 05,06 and 07. But if you need the power then the 2007 3.5 litre V6 gets you 268 HP, bet you could blow off a lot of Mustangs with that. Incidentally despite what you may have read, the new V6 uses a timing chain with VVT-i on intake and exhaust cams.

Slim

Reply to
Slim Pickings

Not only that but 4's have lower labor rates for repairs- easer to fit the hands around it. We have a 2004, I purposely insisted on a 4 cyl, due to past performance of the Toyota line.\

Reply to
Stephen H

The 4 is fine unless you travel alot with a full car and the Ac on in hill country.

Reply to
m Ransley

We can't get Camry's here in the US with a boot. (I think it might be a European option. We get a trunk instead.

- David

Reply to
David In NH

Trunks are bigger than boots, at least the boots I wear

Reply to
m Ransley

A bit like what you call "wheel-lugs" or lug-wrench. Assume you mean wheel nuts and wheel-spanner? Lugs are used on removable rim wheels.

Colloquialisms,..the spice of language.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

As others have stated, if the car is lightly loaded, not climbing mountains, not pulling a reasonably heavy trailer (still under the max tow limit for the car), it does just fine. .

Reply to
toyomoho

With constant upgrades to power the new ones would be the same in comparing HP to my 91 if the new cars had only 3 cilinders, I have maybe 110 hp and its more than adequate, with 6 cil milage is reduced, some maintenance is much harder.

Reply to
m Ransley