84 Camry Ignition coils

Hello Is the replacement of the ignition coil(s) on my 1984 Camry a job best left for the repair shop to perform and if so, what might that cost me ?

Thank you.

Reply to
Philip Stein

It's a pretty straightforward affair. I think the replacement coil is around $50.

The only problem you might run into is the screws that hold down the coil may be corroded and it might be a "touchy" job to break them loose without stripping out the screw head first.

I've done two of them (well, not Camry's, Tercel and Corolla, but they use the same set-up) and I only had a problem on one screw on one coil, but it took me a fair amount of cursing. Otherwise, it's probably a 20-minute job.

Might consider using new screws, but I think the coil, which I bought from Toyota, came with new screws.

By the way, for ignition coils, call me paranoid, but I only will use genuine toyota parts.

As long as you are in there, may as well replace the distributor rotor ($4 ??), also, and consider new ignition wires if they have not been replaced for "ages" ($40-$50 from Toyota, probably cheaper at a parts house).

I imagine that a shop would charge about $120 for the job ($80 for the coil and $40 for labor).

Reply to
Tim J. Johson