85 camry eng rattles under load

recently I was taking off the camshaft box to check out a leak that is coming from the gasket inbetween the head and cam box. I removed it and there is almost no gasket left..

while I was at it I installed a new timing belt then put everything back together. because I need to drive out in order to get a gasket set.

I went to start up the car and it started fine. but when I step on the gas to try to accelerate at a semi fast pace, the eng makes a rattling noise and doesnt accelerate any faster

although when in neutral the car revs perfectly...

my distributor timing is a bit off and I need to adjust it, could that be it?

Any ideas Thanks

Reply to
rockhard

If timing is advanced to far pre ignition will rattle and knock holes in your old pistons.

Reply to
m Ransley

well i tried adjusting and re-adjusting the ignition timing, and right now its as close as it is going to get and it is still mis-firing, I recently had just changed the timing belt could the cause be something to do with that, like the camshaft not being marked off properly

Reply to
rockhard

Yeah, your timing is probably off. Recheck the timing on the cam/crank/distributor.

The free online guide at AutoZone.com:

rockhard wrote:

Reply to
johngdole