'85 Camry Wagon - Shudder at Highway Speeds

This is the same four cylinder auto wagon with 109k miles I posted about late last year: the transmission was never serviced until a power flush about a year ago. We bought it this Fall, not knowing the full history. We had the fluid changed, and the pan allegedly cleaned this month (seeing "spill and fill" on the receipt wasn't reassuring). It still seems to be shifting ok; the main problem that's definitely transmission-related is it still takes a full second to shift into gear when cold. HOWEVER:

It's been pretty cold at night here, and I work a weekend night shift. the last two nights when I've driven home, I've gotten a shuddering from the front end at highway speeds. It isn't severe, but is definitely noticeable. The rpm isn't changing and it isn't shifting oddly, so I don't know if it's something like CV joints (but there is zero clicking, or binding at low speeds) or bad tire belts, or the transmission. I think it's still there when I shift down into third. It seems to stop after I get home, until the next frigid night. Thoughts?

Reply to
mj

It's a 1995, of course, not '85.

Reply to
mj

"mjc13 13 @verizon.net>"

Reply to
Jason James

Probably a broken belt in a tire, the can go with one pot hole even new, rotate them or have a tire shop check. Broken belts can be impossible to see by a pro even with the tire even off. Mine was.

Reply to
m Ransley

"mjc13 13 @verizon.net>" "

Reply to
Jason James

I didn't have the car jacked up, but shoving the wheels hard with my foot and leg produces no play or noise. The tires have no unusual wear patterns, but they are old enough to be suspect. Damping seems normal. It gets looked at today. Thanks for the response.

I *really* hope it just needs a couple - even four! - tires...

Reply to
mj

"mjc13 13 @verizon.net>" " " > in the driveshafts. GRip them in the middle and give them a push-pull. If

It is highly unusual, even virtually impossible, for the trans to give this symptom without an associated loud mechanical noise which you cant miss. The problem is either a lot of *lateral* play in a drive shaft, but most likely a tyre/(s). If the tyres come back OK (after a dynamic balance), jack the front of the car up, put stands under it, slide under and look for any excessive movement in the driveshafts or the roadwheels. Shot wheel bearings, ball joints, upper strut mounts, can if really bad, produce some wierd stuff on the road, but also cause steering abnormalities. For example, a car with a worn-out bush *and * a fairly badly unbalanced wheel, on one side, will start to resonate within the limits of the bush wear as the out of balance tyre subjects it to pulses of vibration,..the list can be long,..but hope you just have a tyre problem

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

One of the *rear* tires went nearly flat, and was thumping on the way to the tire dealer. (I had reinflated it yesterday.) We decided to gamble on the car having abused tires as well as transmission, and had them all replaced with 80K mile Hankooks (had them on a Volvo 240 and liked them). The car drove fine on the way home, but we aren't feeling much relief yet: both the car and the tires were warm from the shop, and the weather was relatively mild. The real test will be the next cold day we drive it...

Reply to
mj