86 Camry loss of power under load

I have had this 1986 Camry since it was new. It is a 4 cylinder gas engine with 136K miles. The problem started about 6 to 8 years ago. When trying to get on the highway, especially if there are a few passengers, if I try to accelerate hard the car will go, then it will lose power at about 50 mph no matter how much gas I give it. The can will sometimes stall. If I pull over the car will start right up and will not do it again for the rest of the trip. The problem does not always happen, if fact most times it does not. It seems to happen just as the can reaches operating temp judging from the temp gauge. I have done regular maintenance, change oil and filters every 3 to 5K miles, tune-ups, and compression test. It is related to heavy engine load, like it is running out of gas. I have changed the following parts over the years with out a change:

Fuel filter Spark plugs rotor Distributor cap Fuel pressure regulator Air filter Ignition coil Ignition wires Cleaned the throttle

Nothing has ever seemed to help. Any ideas.

-- Tony Marsillo Nutmeg Repair

Tony Marsillo

There maybe dirt.debris in the bottom of the petrol tank,...then when you first take-off the debris moves and partially bolcks the petrol intake to the pump. After you have stopped and re-started, the small amount of debris caught at the pump inlet clears rearwards with the rest of the materal.

Just a thought,....Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Here's my guess:

Perhaps you've heard, people sometimes try to increase flow through the exhaust system to improve power. Well, if your exhaust system is plugged, the reverse can happen, and you will lose power. Sometimes the catalytic converter can become plugged. I suspect this by the way you describe the problem and hearing other similar complaints solved. The catalytic converter can be expensive. The correct test method involves getting the right equipment and removing some parts in the exhaust. A rough alternate method has been suggested, and I copied it here. Basically, it is to connect a vacuum gauge to the intake manifold, hold the engine at a mid rev range and see if the intake vacuum begins to fall due to exhaust restriction.

You can also do a rough test using a hand-held vacuum gauge and monitoring intake manifold vacuum -- if the vacuum starts falling (i.e., intake manifold pressure is rising) at high rpm with a constant throttle opening, the exhaust is probably plugged up.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Jason, Thanks for the reply. I have thought of trying to connect a pressure gauge to the fuel line and try to drive around so it can be monitored, but this can does not offer a continent test port other than removing the cold start injector and putting the pressure gauge there. It is a "banjo"?? type connection that I have never found a fitting to mate to it.

Thanks

-- Tony Marsillo Nutmeg Repair

Reply to
Tony Marsillo

Don't know Tony,...but it would be ideal. This type of problem once persisted in a Valiant V8 my cousin had. It turned out to be a cracked inlet manifold. The symptoms were reversed ie when the manifold heated up, the crack opened admitting air, causing the engine to run rough and cutout.

I had a Hillman once that had a leaking headgasket. It would start OK, then about 1/2 hour later would stall as the small amount of water leaked directly onto the plug electrodes.

Hope you find it,....Jason

Reply to
Jason James

HAD SAME PROBLEM!! try to replace the sensor in you exhaust just before the catalysator.

E Legerstee see my website at------------------>

"Tony Marsillo" schreef in bericht news:bd83a1$pua82$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-102725.news.dfncis.de...

Reply to
E Legerstee