87 camry has overdrive light blinks on & off

I have an 87 camry, 110,000 mi. Recently the overdrive light began blinking on & off. I had the transmission power flushed but this did not fix the problem. I just read in the manual that if this light blinks, the transmission needs servicing. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Reply to
charliep

If blinking in a pattern, the number code can indicate an electrical problem with one of the solenoids.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

I don't believe it blinks in any particular pattern, just on and off at a constant rate. The blinking does not occur everytime I drive the car and it doesn't appear to be temperature related. It has blinked when the car was cold and other times it has started blinking when the car was warmed up.

One thing I failed to mention before was that the transmission does shift correctly. I watch the tachometer and shifting occurs at the proper times so I agree with you about a solenoid problem. Any suggestions on which solenoid and could I replace it?

Reply to
charliep

Try taping down the button....it may not be making complete contact. I had the same trouble on my old 87 Camry and just placed a coin over button and taped it down.

Marty

Reply to
Marty009

System has detected a malfunction.

Reply to
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?MDT_Tech=AE?=

I don't understand???

Reply to
charliep

Well ... a BLINKING light does SUGGEST an error has been logged in the transmission's ECU. Do you understand that part? There are electric components (solenoids and sensors) in the transmission.

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

Yes, I understand that. Is there a listing available to the public which lists the error codes so I can possibly figure out which component may be malfunctioning? I would prefer not to take the car into a transmission shop, I have had a few bad experiences with a few of them. Even if I cannot fix it myself, I will have a idea of what the problem may be when I take it in. Thanks.

Reply to
charliep

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, charliep being of bellicose mind posted:

Regrettably, I can't help you with a transmission code list.

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

Thanks anyway for the help.

Reply to
charliep

I have the shop manual for an 1986 Camry. I don't know if the '87 is the same. I can scan the pages and e-mail to you if you like.

-- Tony Marsillo Nutmeg Repair

Reply to
Tony Marsillo

Thanks for the transaxle code listings. I checked it out and two error codes are stored. The first one is code #62 which is "Severed #1 solenoid or short circuit- severed wire harness or short circuit. The second code is #64 which is "Severed #3 solenoid or short circuit- severed wire harness or short circuit.

I checked for any broken harness but I am not sure where I should be looking. Any ideas where I should check for these problems? Is it something internal to the transaxle or can I see the solenoids or wire harnesses? Thanks for any help.

Reply to
charliep

In my 94 Camry v-6 it was simply dirty (oxidized) overdrive switch contacts. Pull the button off with some plyers and spray contact cleaner (Radio Shack) into the switch. Use extention nozzel and work the switch in and out after spraying.

Reply to
Timlein