87 Camry: Radio volume very faint

While fiddling with iPod cassette adapter, radio volume on my 87 Camry went very faint. Radio (AM & FM ) works well , only that volume is too faint even if I turn the knob to the highest.

Any ideas on how to fix it ? If someone has steps/diagram on how to take it out .. can you please provide it ?

Thx

Reply to
techtrainer

How is the volume playing regular cassettes?

Reply to
Frank

Reply to
techtrainer

Have you considered installing a new stereo? I replaced the stereo in my Camry with a Panasonic unit for $130 installed. It has an auxiliary input and the input signal from the iPod can be boosted on the stereo so that the volume does not have to be turned up so high. Works great.

Reply to
Paul G.

Looks like the gain on your amplifier section is not working right, time for a new headunit like Paul said. So cheap now with so many features. Huge sound improvement going from cassette to CD and MP3s. If I were in your situation regarding commute/radio, I would look at the head unit with HD radio (free broadcast, FM sounds like CDs and AM sounds like FM) and commercial satellite radio (subscription).

Reply to
Frank

Thanks Paul, Frank .. yes, it makes sense to get a new unit. I am hesitating as the fear is the new stereo would easily outlast the car. With 230K on the car, i am not sure how much more life this has without sucking a lot of maintenance money.

Reply to
techtrainer