88 Camry: are CV joints identical?

I have a 88 Camry 4 cyl station wagon. I have already replaced the CV joint on the LH side. Now I need to replace the RH side. THere is something different on the RH side, it looks like there is an intermediate bearing or something between the transaxle output and the CV joint. But Autozone shows only one CV joint p/n for both sides, no LH/ RH joint. Maybe the CV joint just mates up to that bearing plate in the same way as the LH side mates directly to the transaxle (with about 8-10 bolts)?

Reply to
geronimo

Make sure you give them the birth place of your camry. There were japan and american and canadian models. The Japan and American models use different axles. If you can unbolt the passenger side cv at the intermediate shaft that goes into the tranny then you can use the shorter cv axle if not you will have to get the complete 2 piece drive axle....

Reply to
:

There are slip-on or bolt-on axles. Both side should be the same type depending on the production. But they are DIFFERENT lengths and yes the RH does have a support bearing.

Have you check the local NAPA store? I'm more comfortable with NAPA rebuilts personally and you get good warranty. I buy from all parts stores, but just not too sure about rebuilts from some of these major consumer-oriented chains.

Reply to
johngdole