88 Camry Problem

Forgive me, because I know nothing about cars. Here is my problem.

While driving, the car just died. After getting it pulled over, the car tries to turn over but doesn't. There is no smoke coming out of the back and there is oil in the car.

After a day or two of it sitting in the driveway. I went to start the car and it took a little effort, but it started up...for about 1 min or so.

Now after about a week and a half, I go to start the car and it starts fine and runs for atleast 5-10 mins with no indication that it is going to stop.

Anyone have any ideas? Fuel Filter is what a friend told me he thinks it might be. Is there anyway to diagnose for that?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
curniac

Nah, you just change it.

What you could do (this is a little dangerous...) is yank the filter, turn it upside down and run something through it. I was thinking gasoline, but you could try carb cleaner. I don't think it will hurt the filtering element.

But I don't think this is the problem. Usually a dirty fuel filter will let the car run until you ask for more power. But you never know!

New filter from Toyota is about $35.

Reply to
Hachiroku

check the ignition coil first fairly common source of this type of complaint

Reply to
Daniel

See if you get spark when it is dead, if no spark start with the coil, if you have spark its fuel related, likely the fuel pump.

Reply to
m Ransley

thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I will see what I can do. Hopefully it's not anything to big.

Reply to
Curniac

sounds like that the timeing belt silped a notch and after it cools it will start with a little help.

Reply to
loonylooie